Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

*WOW* Time Mag has new Imac on the cover

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-02, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was dropping my friend off at JFK airport in NYC, and saw this weeks' TIme magazine w/ Steve Jobs and the new flat screen I-Mac on the cover. It looks like a lamp/ sunflower. The model they used was clear. Looks incredible! Roundish base with the arm going up holding the flat 15 inch or so screen. I think I want one. Badly. I should have bought the mag but I already subscribe, so I'll be getting it this week anyway.
Old 01-06-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the one you mean?

Old 01-06-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, that's someone's mockup from last summer. The real deal is at
http://timecanada.com/
Old 01-07-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, interesting.
Old 01-07-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like the mockup much better. i give the new real imac a thumbs down.
Old 01-07-02, 12:44 AM

I honestly can't believe that people actually buy a computer based on its look! I would understand that little kids want their gameboy to be blue or red but adults chosing a computer?

[irony]
What's next? The best selling DVD players will be Apex because they will have that "cool new look"?
[/irony]

The ONLY component that I didn't chose when I built my computer was the case because I didn't give a sh* about how it would look, what was important was how it would perform. To each his own I guess!
Old 01-07-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey, boba, you're picking on my whole field! heh, i buy a lot of things based on looks: clothes, cars, houses, women... just kidding about that last one. btw, i've never purchased a computer based on looks but i've NOT purchased a DELL b/c to me they are so hideous (the black ones w/ the cyclops smile). i also don't own a mac but i appreciate the way some of them look. aren't you even a little impressed w/ the design of the titanium notebook? if you're saying you are not affected by beauty (yes, even a computer), then i feel sort of sad for you.

btw, what do the irony tags do? are they supposed to do something or is it just a fake tag to say you're being ironic?

Last edited by young; 01-07-02 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-07-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by young
i also don't own a mac but i appreciate the way some of them look. aren't you even a little impressed w/ the design of the titanium notebook? if you're saying you are not affected by beauty (yes, even a computer), then i feel sort of sad for you.
[QUOTE]

i agree that the new imacs look cool, but i'd never buy one. i just don't think they're all that good of a deal, the old ones anyway. everyone i know who bought an imac when they first came out, knew virtually nothing about computers and for many, it was their first computer. i tried to tell them that they'd get much more for their money going another route, but they just had to have an imac.
Old 01-07-02, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by young
hey, boba, you're picking on my whole field! heh, i buy a lot of things based on looks: clothes, cars, houses, women... just kidding about that last one. btw, i've never purchased a computer based on looks but i've NOT purchased a DELL b/c to me they are so hideous (the black ones w/ the cyclops smile). i also don't own a mac but i appreciate the way some of them look. aren't you even a little impressed w/ the design of the titanium notebook? if you're saying you are not affected by beauty (yes, even a computer), then i feel sort of sad for you.

btw, what do the irony tags do? are they supposed to do something or is it just a fake tag to say you're being ironic?
We are talking about a computer, it is not the same thing as clothes. I am affected by beauty, but not for stuff like a computer. Give me that 1.4 Ghz Athlon in a ugly pink case anyday over a crappy imac!

The irony tags are fake...
Old 01-07-02, 12:39 PM

Honestly, as far as looks go, Mac does a good job, they G4 PowerPCs look cool and if it wasnt for Mac a lot of people wouldnt have been doing the Translucent thing. But much beyond that, Macs suck, i mean they are great for desktop publishing a multimedia, but overall PCs rule, they can do everything, are more customizeable. just my 2 cents...
Old 01-07-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm all for physical beauty in things wherever possible, but it really is "inner beauty" that counts with computers.

Give me a piece of crap that looks like a modern work of art, or a Lamborghini of a machine that looks fugly and I'll take the fugly one and paint it funky colors any ol' day of the week.
Old 01-07-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What, exactly, can a PC do that a Mac can't?
Old 01-07-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man, i can't believe there are no macheads here and i'm not here to pick a fight about this.

i'm not arguing that people get computers that are only good looking. rather that, when i built my computer, and if i could choose a $100 case that was ugly vs $100 case that looks decent, i'd get the decent/good looking case. in fact, i'd even spend $10 more for it. so, given a relatively equal computer, looks will make me lean one or another. my dell vs sony computer was such a choice. whether macs are functionally superior is a different argument altogether.

i don't want to use an example of extremes like the crappy car that looks good vs great car that looks ugly; function is still the top criterion. a fairer comparison would be more like:

if you could get an an audi A4 vs a soobie WRX, which would you get. the WRX, arguably, has better performance but the A4 looks more elegant (and costs more). well, some would get the wrx, some would get the a4.

as for macs, i can't do autoCAD on it so i can't buy one. and i don't want to run it under an emulator as it is slower. and a lot of games are only for the pc. but video editing is superior (final cut) as well as graphics.

Last edited by young; 01-07-02 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-07-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it looks cool.
Old 01-07-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

man, i can't believe there are no macheads here and i'm not here to pick a fight about this.
I'm very much a Machead (never heard that term before, but anyway . . . ). I was planning on getting a new G4 tower soon, but this has a G4 and burns DVDs. I'd get it regardless of how it looks, but its appearance is like a bonus.
Old 01-07-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love apple. Anyone seen the price yet ?
Old 01-07-02, 02:13 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) will relaunch its flagship desktop computer, the iMac, with a redesigned flat-panel model, Chief Executive Steve Jobs (news - web sites) said on Monday.

The new iMacs, which include a 15-inch flat panel display that connects via a pivoting arm to a dome-like base, will ship this quarter, Jobs said at the Macworld trade show.

The new entry-level model iMac will be priced at $1,299 , and all of the new machines will run the PowerPC G4 processor that Apple had reserved for high-end machines.

``We expect demand to be large,'' Jobs said.

The announcement of the new desktop computer line and a 14-inch portable iBook PC capped weeks of speculation over what new products Apple would unveil at Macworld. Jobs has used the show as a venue to push upcoming software and hardware releases.
Old 01-07-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Standard with machine... 15" Flat Panel Screen, nVidia GeForce 2, 5 USB ports, 2 FireWire, Gigabit Ethernet, Modem, Built-in Microphone, Headphone Jack, Built-in Digital Speaker, Airport (Optional), Optical Mouse, White Key-board...

$1299 (G4/700, 128 RAM, 40 G HD, CD-R) - Ship in March

$1499 (G4/800, 256 RAM, 40 G HD, ComboDrive: CD-R/DVD, Apple Pro Speakers) - Ship in February

$1799 (G4/800, 256 RAM, 60 G HD, SuperDrive: CD-R/DVD-R, Apple Pro Speakers) - Ship in January

I might be ordering one of the high-end before the day is out...

Last edited by Goldberg74; 01-07-02 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-07-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow I think I may go for the high end as well.
Old 01-07-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to iPhoto. I got a digital camera for xmas and have found the joys of image capture in OSX.1. now iPhoto sounds like it will fill more of my needs (cropping and crap)

daveninja.com
Old 01-07-02, 02:45 PM
Banned

looks like a neat toy, but i'll stick with my PC.
Old 01-07-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jason
What, exactly, can a PC do that a Mac can't?
You may as well ask the converse question. PCs simply give you more options at arguably better value. You may have to work a lot harder on the pretty cases and see-though thingamabobs, though.

It really boils down to personal preference a lot of the time. No one can front and say that Macs aren't good computers, or vice versa.
Old 01-07-02, 03:27 PM

as for macs, i can't do autoCAD on it so i can't buy one. and i don't want to run it under an emulator as it is slower. and a lot of games are only for the pc. but video editing is superior (final cut) as well as graphics.
Please explain to me how the 2D graphics of a GeForce2 card (as listed in the spec of the imac) can be superior to say a PC using a Matrox card (and using 2 monitors at the same time like I do)? Or the 3D graphics of a PC running a GeForce3 Ti 500?

I am not familiar with video editing so can you technically justify your affirmation that a Mac is better for video editing than a PC now (I am not talking about 15 years ago with old folks used to Mac that don't want to change their habits, I am talking about NOW)?
Old 01-07-02, 04:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

Please explain to me how the 2D graphics of a GeForce2 card (as listed in the spec of the imac) can be superior to say a PC using a Matrox card (and using 2 monitors at the same time like I do)? Or the 3D graphics of a PC running a GeForce3 Ti 500?

I am not familiar with video editing so can you technically justify your affirmation that a Mac is better for video editing than a PC now (I am not talking about 15 years ago with old folks used to Mac that don't want to change their habits, I am talking about NOW)?

Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't necessarily say that Macs are absolutely better at video editing. However, I would say that Macs do it better at a lower cost (ie: $2000 Mac will produce better results than a $2000 PC).

Does anybody agree/disagree with me on this? Am I wrong here?

For the record, I'm a PC person (Windows/Linux). Now that OS X (well, 10.1) is out there, I don't think Macs are all that bad (although I haven't tried the new OS yet). I'm even thinking about getting a Powerbook because OS X looks nice and also because apple has a nice acedemic payment plan.
Old 01-07-02, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Jason Northrup

However, I would say that Macs do it better at a lower cost (ie: $2000 Mac will produce better results than a $2000 PC).
I am not saying it is not true but why?

I really think that if you build your PC and chose yourself (and you know what you are doing) $2000 worth of parts it will be of a higher quality than a Mac (or even IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq...)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.