Reload this Page >

Question - which CD media to buy?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-02, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k., I'm finally jumping into the whole

CD-RW thing and have bought my first CD-RW drive.

I bought the lite-on based on the recommendations of people here.

Now, what kind of CD-R's do I buy?

Does it make a difference?

Here are some options:

Office depot has Imation 16xCd-R 100-pk for 19.99
Best Buy has Verbatim 50-pack 24x for 9.99
Staples has Memorex 16x Cd-R 50 pk for 9.94
Circuit City has Fuji - 12x 50 pk for 9.99

What is the difference?

Once I burn music onto these CD-Rs, can they play in any CD player?

Also, any tips on burning music to CD-Rs to play on CD players - do they have to be saved as MP3s?

Thanks!
Rich
Old 01-06-02, 03:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Question - which CD media to buy?

Originally posted by ghostie
Now, what kind of CD-R's do I buy?

Does it make a difference?

Once I burn music onto these CD-Rs, can they play in any CD player?

Also, any tips on burning music to CD-Rs to play on CD players - do they have to be saved as MP3s?
I've heard that Memorex is garbage. I never used that brand. Imation is good and I believe I heard Fuji is good. Maybe the choice should depend on the speed of your recorder since one is rated at 12x and the other at 24x.

You will probably be able to play your burned CDs on any CD player. Older ones might have some trouble and the recording speed might make a difference. I've never had problems at any speed, but some people say lowering the burning speed for music CDs helps them be read by some players.

No regular CD player can play MP3s. MP3 is really a data file. Some newer CD players specifically marked as having MP3 capability can play them.
Old 01-06-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

if you can get them for the same price as other brands.. the verbatims are the best..

avoid maxell, memorex, sony, etc.. (all the ones with gold bottoms, because they are too thick to play in alot of 'non-cdrom' drives)

verbatims are cheap.. and typically accepted as the most versatile.
Old 01-06-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: Question - which CD media to buy?

Originally posted by X
I've heard that Memorex is garbage. I never used that brand. Imation is good and I believe I heard Fuji is good. Maybe the choice should depend on the speed of your recorder since one is rated at 12x and the other at 24x.

You will probably be able to play your burned CDs on any CD player. Older ones might have some trouble and the recording speed might make a difference. I've never had problems at any speed, but some people say lowering the burning speed for music CDs helps them be read by some players.

No regular CD player can play MP3s. MP3 is really a data file. Some newer CD players specifically marked as having MP3 capability can play them.
X, I bought some of those black bottom Memorex 80 minute CDRs and they work great in every thing I've tried them on. I used to have problems with the Memorex ones though.

I don't like the Imation ones because I have tons of problems with them, despite the fact I have an Imation burner.

Pretty much any name brand CDR is gonna be ok.
Old 01-06-02, 07:24 PM

About the best CDRs you could get were Mitsui. They invented the phthalocyanine CDRs (gold) and then licensed it to other companies. Personally I have never used them because they are/were expensive and hard to find.

I have always used Kodak CDRs, which also used phthalocyanine. Unfortunately, now these Kodak Gold CDRs can only be sold to companies. Instead, Kodak developped formazan (not licensed, as far as I know Kodak is now the only company to use gold, the best and most expensive component) which is a mix of phthalocyanine and cyanine (that is why they are called "Gold + Silver") CDRs. They are great (that is what I use) and I never had a problem with them. The use of gold (phthalocyanine) makes the best CDRs for compatibility (reflective surface) and durability.

The worst you can get was cyanine alone (patented by Taiyo Yuden). It looked dark green. It was not reflective enough and had a pretty short life span (phthalocyanine CDRs are supposed to last more than 100 years while cyanine CDRs less than 10 years). The new cyanine CDRs are better though and are supposed to last between 20 and 50 years.

Then came Azo (patented by Verbatim, which is a devision of Mitsubishi I believe) which (according to the companies that use it) as good as phthalocyanine (and cheaper than gold of course). It is blue.

But it is still very hard to determine what is used to make a CDR simply by looking at his color (when there was only the gold, green and later blue it was easy to spot them but now with stuff like for formazan and the improved cyanine it becomes really hard).

So personally I would go (in fact I use them) with Kodak CDRs (Kodak makes their own CDRs).

But my second choice (still quality) would be to go with Taiyo Yuden or TDK CDRs (Taiyo Yuden makes some of the Sony, Imation and Philips CDRs while TDK makes their own CDRs and also makes some of the Pioneer and 3M CDRs).

A medium quality CDR is Mitsubishi (they make Verbatim and some of the Sony CDRs... see the problem? How can you know if you got a Sony CDR made by Taiyo Yuden of Mitsubishi?) or Hitachi Maxell (Maxell makes their own CDRs).

I would definately avoid Ritek CDRs (Ritek makes some of the Memorex, Samsung, Fujifilm CDRs).

The only problem when you buy CDRs from a company that doesn't make them is that you don't really know who made them (or who will make them tomorrow). See my Sony example (and Fuji also makes some CDRs, which are definately better than the ones Ritek makes for them). Same for TDK, they make some of their good CDRs but some really low quality are made by Ritek.

AFAIK only Kodak (high quality) and Maxell (medium quality) make 100% of their CDRs. (I am not talking about low quality companies like Princo, Gigastorage, Lead Data or CMC).

Also, please note that I am only talking about CDRs quality and not the quality of the other products made by these companies!
Old 01-06-02, 07:57 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Question - which CD media to buy?

Originally posted by Deftones17

X, I bought some of those black bottom Memorex 80 minute CDRs and they work great in every thing I've tried them on. I used to have problems with the Memorex ones though.

I don't like the Imation ones because I have tons of problems with them, despite the fact I have an Imation burner.
I've heard the black Memorex are pretty good, but they're usually expensive and I haven't tried them yet. I never did have any problem with Imation, they always seemed very solid.

Actually, I haven't had a problem with any CDR in a long time and I use some of the junkiest ones you've ever seen. Like noname ones you get for free in spools of 100 that don't even have a writable top. But I just use those for scratch discs to move things around, not for longterm storage.

I don't know how much it's a writer issue either. I mostly use a Plextor, Iomega (with a Philips drive I believe?) or a Yamaha. When I burn, the media seem to be the least of my problems, and when I burn properly, I have no problems.
Old 01-07-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have nothing but good things to say about Memorex Cds (especially the multi-colored ones in the spindle or thin cases). On the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with Imation. I'd even go so far as to call them garbage. I have an older HP CD Burner (got it Xmas '99) maybe that makes a difference, but out of at least 50 Memorex I've only made one coaster (because of system failure, not the CD) and a pack of 20 Imation's was a struggle to get even half to work. I've done Memorex's since, so it is not a new problem. Hope that helps
Old 01-07-02, 08:41 PM

Diffrent burners prefer diffrent cd-r's. I've had a 8x burner that would make a coaster with every other imitation cd-r, but the rest of the pack burn perfectly at 24x on a 24x burner (despite only being rated at 16x).

That being said, Taiyo Yuden cd-r's are the highest quality available for archiving data (Taiyo Yuden cd-r's are only made in Japan). In a lab test they had the widest compatability, and lasted longer then other cd-r's in a test which simulated 25 years (both for recorded data and burning new data on an aged disc).

Fuji and Sony cd-r's that are manufactured in Japan are Taiyo Yuden's. The Kodak gold brand is also good, but only the ones that are not made in Mexico.

Most brands are made by Ritek or CMC Magnetics. They are good quality in general, but not as good for long term storage as the Taiyo Yudens.

One brand to stay away from is PNY, I've had several disc that are unreadable after only a year or so. It may just be a bad spindle, but this is the only brand that has done this to me.
Old 01-07-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

another great thing about plextor drive
i challenge anyone to find a brand of cdr media that doesnt work perfectly every time

but the problem is in the drive you want to play it in.. whether its a car cd player, stereo, playstation, etc... alot of them want different brands..

and as I said before.. in my experience, Ill stand behind the verbatim disks, because i have never found a player that would not play them
Old 01-07-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Verbatim CDR and Memorex CDRW. So far I have had no problems with any of them. I have a Mitsumi CD Burner.

I bought the 50 pack of Verbatims tonight at BB. $9.99 is a great deal.