Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Power DVD and tv out

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Power DVD and tv out

Old 01-05-02, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power DVD and tv out

The new Power DVD 4.0 is amazing. DTS decoding, 6.1 ES / EX decoding. Even Dolby headphone sound. I have a Hercules Gametheatre XP soundcard which also gives 7 analogue outputs. I'm thinking of getting a new 6 channel amplifier to see how it sounds.

So all is looking great on the sound front, the problem now is the video. Can anyone offer advice on what would get good quality TV output from PowerDVD? I have a DVD decoding card which gives great TV output but is not compatible with PowerDVD.

I've seen the TV output from a Geofoce2 MX and it was not suitable for watching movies. It was like a photocopy of a normal picture.
Old 01-06-02, 04:38 AM

Consider an ATI video card. They are the best when it comes to DVD. Two cards to try are:

Rage Fury Pro - older card but should be fine for DVD only use
Radeon VE - also has dual monitor support

Both cards sell for under 100 bucks. Neither would be an acceptable card for hard core gamers, but for DVD it can't be beat.
Old 01-06-02, 07:32 AM

Could you watch a whole movie using the tv out? Would they compare to a stand alone player in quality?

Someone also steered me towards this site:

http://www.tvtool.de/

which looks pretty interesting. It tweaks Nvidia cards for the best TV output apparently.
Old 01-06-02, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by John-In-VA
Both cards sell for under 100 bucks. Neither would be an acceptable card for hard core gamers, but for DVD it can't be beat.
Try a Matrox G400 card with DualHead, you will see that ATI can be beaten for DVD (the Matrox isn't good for gaming but it has a good driver support, including official Linux drivers)
Old 01-06-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

Try a Matrox G400 card with DualHead, you will see that ATI can be beaten for DVD (the Matrox isn't good for gaming but it has a good driver support, including official Linux drivers)
So, what's a good card for both games *and* TV out?
Old 01-06-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'm having a similar problem. The creative labs player no longer works, it freezes up before it even gets to the dvd's menu. It was great for tv out with the decorder card
Old 01-07-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Radeon LE is a favorite with high-end home theater buffs - it doesn't use a fan, so it is more quiet, and the MPEG-2 decoding is arguably the industry's best.

I have a 58-inch widescreen TV, and my preferred playback method is WinDVD running on a PIII-800 with Radeon LE card, and M-Audio Dio2496 fed into the surround receiver via Toslink. 1.33:1 and LTBX images are no longer a problem, because the Radeon GPU has excellent scaling.

RD