Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! IE5.5 won't let me edit my Home page address.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-05-02, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched for a similar problem, but couldn't find one here.

IE 5.5 just won't let me change my Homepage. Normally you can just type in the desired home page in the General Tab under Tools > Internet Options, but now I can't even highlight the current address. The homepage box is greyed out, as are the all the buttons (Use current/default/blank).

I tried installing IE6, but still can't edit the home page address. So I uninstalled IE6 (reverting back to my old version of IE). I backed up all my OutlookExpress e-mails, because I wanted to uninstall IE5.5, but I can't seem to uninstall it from the control panel, or find its setup.exe file on my drive.

Other problems I have since encountered were troubles accessing secure site.

Other things I tried were using Norton Virus check and AdKiller, both no results. I use Win98. Can anyone help??
Old 01-05-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what OS are you running?

Edited: Oops.. I thought you were running NT or Windows 2000. Thought you might have modified some policies that caused it.
Old 01-05-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what is your current homepage? (that might give us a hint as to what happened)

if you are confident that you won't mis-click and mess things up, be careful and open msconfig (START-> RUN -> msconfig) and under the startup tab look for anything that looks suspicious. (try disabling anything that looks out of place and see if the problem goes away).

you tried norton antivirus, so i assume you updated the definitions to the latest version?
Old 01-05-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

there is a registry key to unlock this setting.. but I dont remember which one.. I have a print out on it on my desk at work.. if you havent fixed it by monday, Ill post the answer to that

thats to unlock it, so its back to normal

but to go ahead and change your start page..

go to hkey current user - software - microsoft - internet explorer - main - and change the value of start page to what you want it to be

on monday.. bump this thread to remind me.. and I will post the link to unlocking the greyed out policies in internet explorer
Old 01-05-02, 08:07 PM

Eeyore
Before it happened, I had it point to www.google.co.uk. When the problem started, it was still going to google, but it was pointing to:

http://home.hemudu.net/youngsun/home

I managed to change that by resetting all my websettings, so it's now going to www.msn.com. (Although it's pointing to a loooong msn address, but I cannot copy and paste it, as the address box is still greyed out.)

EDIT:

I'll try updating NortonAntivirus. I did check through Msconfig some time ago. Maybe time to look at it again. Gosh, I didn't realise all the cleaning I have to do until after something happens.

twikoff - I tried changing my start page through the registry that way. I'm assuming the registry file is called "OrgHome". I changed that, but it's still going to msn, even after restart. For fun, I tried changed the IE title bar wording and least that's working , so that confirms I'm going about changing the registry in somewhat the right way.

Note - "OrgHome" and "Window title" regs. were the only ones I attempted to change

Last edited by Purpledump; 01-05-02 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-05-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Purpledump

twikoff - I tried changing my start page through the registry that way. I'm assuming the registry file is called "OrgHome". I changed that, but it's still going to msn, even after restart. For fun, I tried changed the IE title bar wording and least that's working , so that confirms I'm going about changing the registry in somewhat the right way.

Note - "OrgHome" and "Window title" regs. were the only ones I attempted to change
to edit the registry

go to Start.. Run.. and type REGEDIT

this will bring up the editor..

then expand hkey_current_user.. then expand Software... then expand.. microsoft.. then expand Internet Explorer.. Then expand Main.. then rightclick on the START PAGE key and hit edit.. it will bring up the key values.. change to the page you want..

sorry.. didnt give instructions on how to get into the registry editor before.
Old 01-05-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

and like I said.. I do have a printout at work, that tells me which value you have to change, so that box isnt greyed out.. and if you still need it monday.. Ill post it then
Old 01-05-02, 09:19 PM

Twik,
Go ahead and post it on Monday.
My friend is having the same problem and I can let him know how to correct it.

Thanks
Old 01-05-02, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by twikoff

sorry.. didnt give instructions on how to get into the registry editor before.
I apologise for the miscommunication. I knew I had to run regedit, but didn't know which key to edit for the start page, because.... the START PAGE key is not there .

I edited the "OrgHome" key, because I though that was it. When that didn't work. I though I wasn't doing it right. Then I tried editing the "Window title" key, which DID work, so I was affecting the registry.

As I said, the START PAGE key is not in hkey_current_user>Software>microsoft>Internet Explorer>Main. If this is because some Ad program, it did a pretty thorough job, it's scary.
Old 01-05-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I apologise for the miscommunication. I knew I had to run regedit, but didn't know which key to edit for the start page, because.... the START PAGE key is not there .

I edited the "OrgHome" key, because I though that was it. When that didn't work. I though I wasn't doing it right. Then I tried editing the "Window title" key, which DID work, so I was affecting the registry.

As I said, the START PAGE key is not in hkey_current_user>Software>microsoft>Internet Explorer>Main. If this is because some Ad program, it did a pretty thorough job, it's scary.
hmmm... thats really odd.. Ive had to do this on literally hundreds of systems (our odd network admin put out a stupid locked copy of internet explorer, so I had to change these manually before I learned which key to change to unlock that setting)..

never seen orghome in the main folder... so Im doing a search of my registry right now for it..

what os are you running?
Old 01-05-02, 10:07 PM

twikoff - I'm using Win98.
Old 01-06-02, 04:11 PM

try creating the key....
rightclick and do new string value and edit it....it's worth a shot...

just rightclick when your in main in the registry....
Old 01-06-02, 04:26 PM

TheSilverSurfer - My word, that was pretty simple . Created a Start Page key, modified it to point to google, and it worked without any problems (I sort of knew how to edit keys, but I didn't know I could create them). I learnt something quite useful today. Thanks!

Now to wait for twikoff to give us the instructions for unlocking the thing.
Old 01-06-02, 05:08 PM

cool
Old 01-06-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Now to wait for twikoff to give us the instructions for unlocking the thing.

Ill post that in the morning once I get to work
Old 01-07-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

open regedit

go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

in here.. are the keys that control the stuff that is locked down..

but without a system in front of me.. I cant remember the exact keys you need to change.. it should be relatively easy to figure out though..
the trick is changing the value from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0, cant remember..
not sure which is locked, and which is open... but if you look at the list of keys.. you will see that majority of them are one way.. that generally means unlocked.. so you just need to change the others to match..

I dont have a system around me currently that has been locked down.. thats why the directions are vague after you get to the keys.. if you cant find the right one, let me know and Ill see about finding one of our machines that was locked down and checking it for you..
Old 01-07-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

here is the article that the instructions come from

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q246883

this is specific for people that are not authorized to run the connection wizard.. but that key is in the same place as the key to lock down the start page.
Old 01-07-02, 11:16 AM

twikoff - Thank you for that !

It led to the solution to my particular problem. The article referred to a Connwiz key under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

I couldn't find it, but instead I deleted the value in the HomePage key, which solved the problem! Thank you all for your contributions and especially SilverSurfer for the "create a key" hint, and twikoff for the answer. Haven't been around these forums much since I left the States, but it's great to find help around here.

EDIT: Twikoff- Didn't see your post before the last. I did try changing the value from 1 to 0 at first, but that didn't have an effect. I backed it up, deleted the key, and it worked. So I restored the key, and just deleted the value, which also worked.

Last edited by Purpledump; 01-07-02 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-07-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

glad it worked
Old 01-08-02, 02:46 AM

Right On!