overclock to 3 GHz

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

overclock to 3 GHz

Old 01-04-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overclock to 3 GHz

P4 2.2Ghz Northwood benchmarks with the CPU overclocked to 3Ghz

wish I could read japanese so I could read more about the specifics..

some pretty amazing benchmarks though
Old 01-05-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a guy over at Overclockers that supossedly got his XP1800+ to 3GHz for 3 seconds before it fried

[QUOTE taken from overclockers]
OK. Athlon XP 1800+, cooled by a quad 220W block, with quad 220W chiller, and freezerful of ice with radiator in to act as another chiller, all fed off the main water supply.

Finally, at 3.2V, it hit 15*200.

YES, 3 Gigahertz. Calculated by me as 4022+. Goodbye, Northwood.

Off an 1800+.

Didn't have long to admire the POST screen.
Black screen 3 secs into POST.
Dive for plug.
Too late.

DAMN!! Blackened patch by the core told me all I needed to know. The waterblock clips had slipped and weren't tight enough.

[/QUOTE]

As Ripley said, "Believe it or not"!
Old 01-05-02, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but I bet an Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked in the same manner would whup it's ass anyway, and be 1/3 the price.

Still. I'd like to see how it was done.
Old 01-05-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The P4 core was designed for high clock speeds so Northwood has quite a bit of head room. As long as AMD can keep upping the ante this year, Intel could deliver an actual 3 GHz P4 by the end of the year. Of course, that's provided Intel can fix the yield problems they're rumored to be having with the .13 micron process.

AMD won't be going to .13 until 4Q at the earliest. The XP 2000+ part that was just introduced is actually running at 1.67 GHz and that's with a tweaked .18 micron process. With the die shrink and SOI, they may be able to hit just over 2 GHz if they're lucky. Along with maybe some minor enhancements to the core, will that be enough to keep up with a 3+ GHz P4? Probably not, but it'll be close.

So Intel will likely soon recover the "fastest x86 CPU" crown very soon and will stay just ahead of AMD for the next year or so at which point AMD will answer with Hammer.

What'll be interesting at that point is that Intel will sort of have the marketing tables turned on them with Hammer. AMD will be trumpeting the fact that Hammer is a 64 bit CPU while the P4 and Xeon's are only 32 bit. It'll be Intel's turn to "educate" the market that simply having the bigger number doesn't always translate into more power.
Old 01-17-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

wow... they have now overclocked the 2.2 up to 3.675GHZ!!!
this chip is going to have alot of promise for intel

amd is really going to have to get on the ball if they want to keep up..

rumor has it that the amd 2500 xp is going to use the .13 core.. but that is still a ways down the road..

Well this is the second mayor OCed P4 CPU in a week .Finland is now famous! Sampsa Kurri has OCed 2.2GHz Northwood to 3.675GHz. It is a world record.. You can check out the article at Muropaketti. It is in finnish, but english version should be made..
Old 01-17-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

and here is a part of the benchmark where some japanese guys claimed to take the 2.2 up to 3.5