Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

MSCONFIG question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MSCONFIG question

Old 01-03-02, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSCONFIG question

I've got some stuff in that I've unchecked in MSCONFIG on the Startup tab. I don't want this back in the startup sequence. Where is the file located that this tab refers to? I'd like to delete the references completely.

Jeff
Old 01-04-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

there should be a path listed in msconfig.. over on the right side?
Old 01-05-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What OS are you using?

In the 9x versions I believe the key (using regedit to access) is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows and under "Run" and/or "RunServices".

If you are not familar with what you are deleting or are unsure if you might want to undo it, back up your registry beforehand.

Disclaimer: You can negatively affect something if you delete the wrong thing or delete something that you are not positive you want to or what it does so please proceed at your own risk.

That said, it is self explanatory but I didn't want to get yelled at if you messed something up.
Old 01-05-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: MSCONFIG question

Originally posted by Jeff Haas
I've got some stuff in that I've unchecked in MSCONFIG on the Startup tab. I don't want this back in the startup sequence. Where is the file located that this tab refers to? I'd like to delete the references completely.

Jeff
since msconfig makes windows act like the startup file it not there why worry

and in case you find a reason to put it back you still can
Old 01-05-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Quidam
What OS are you using?

In the 9x versions I believe the key (using regedit to access) is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows and under "Run" and/or "RunServices".

If you are not familar with what you are deleting or are unsure if you might want to undo it, back up your registry beforehand.

Disclaimer: You can negatively affect something if you delete the wrong thing or delete something that you are not positive you want to or what it does so please proceed at your own risk.

That said, it is self explanatory but I didn't want to get yelled at if you messed something up.
since he is using msconfig, there is no need to hit the run keys in the registry...

that is one of the things that msconfig does.. give you easy access to those types of keys.
Old 01-05-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

since he is using msconfig, there is no need to hit the run keys in the registry...

that is one of the things that msconfig does.. give you easy access to those types of keys.
That is correct but if I understood his original question correctly he has already unchecked (disabled) them within the startup tab of msconfig but would now like to delete those references from appearing there entirely.

To do this you would follow what I previously stated which would then delete those entries that he wishes. Unchecking them within the startup tab does not delete them from the registry or from appearing in msconfig, it only disables them from starting up. In order to delete them from even appearing there you have to delete them in the registry.

If I understood the OP correctly he would like to delete those references for cosmetic reasons.
Old 01-07-02, 02:26 AM

Thanks for all the responses!

I didn't know that the msconfig program let you deal with the registry directly, that's a good tip. And I forgot to mention I'm using Win 98SE.

The main reason I'd like to completely get rid of some of the references in the startup is that I'd had shutdown problems...where Win 98SE sometimes shuts down, and sometimes not. I'd read that some stuff loaded at startup will interfere with shutting down, and that getting rid of a lot of the extra stuff you don't need will many times fix the problem.

I've also ended up with duplicate entries in the startup tab, and while it's probably not important, it would be nice to banish them once and for all. So it is partly cosmetic, and partly for making the machine run better.

Jeff
Old 01-07-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to try and disable those programs to try and fix your shutdown issues then unchecking them in msconfig is all you need to do. The only reason to also delete those entires in the registry is for cosmetic purposes, but be sure that you want them gone before doing so.
Old 03-21-02, 11:56 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What things in msconfig are absolutely needed to run the computer? I have a lot of crap checked in here and want to try and free up some resources, but i don't want my computer to go all funky on me. I am running WIN98SE.

Thanks,

DAC
Old 03-22-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think 50% of my posts have been to link to the following site. i've found it very useful :>

Startup Program List
Old 03-22-02, 02:55 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
i think 50% of my posts have been to link to the following site. i've found it very useful :>

Startup Program List
Thanks,

DAC