question about win2k

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

question about win2k

Old 01-03-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about win2k

hi...

after installing win2k, i have never tried performing a clean install before. i don't have a win2k boot disk, and i don't think there is an option to make one. i was planning on using a win98 boot disk and deleting the "C" primary partition, and then letting win2k recreate it. i have two other partitions E and F on one physical drive. E and F contain very large amounts of important information that i do not want to lose. if i go this route, will i have any troubles? or is there another way to perform a clean install?

thanks,

qs
Old 01-03-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your computer supports cdrom boot, then the w2k cd is bootable. From there, you can delete the existing partitions or reformat your drive.
Old 01-04-02, 02:10 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

if you want to make boot disks for installation... instructions are here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...s_gs_03018.htm
Old 01-04-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I typically do is copy all the install files (everything in the i386 directory) onto the HD (not the C drive, though). Then I do a quick "format c: /q" and then boot to a Win98 start-up floppy. If you first copy smartdrv.exe to that floppy (on a win9x machine, iirc it's in the windows directory), then you can load it manually after you boot (no cd-rom support needed) and then start the install process by going to the directory where you copied all the install files and typing "winnt"