DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   System time falling behind (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/171280-system-time-falling-behind.html)

MACD23 01-03-02 11:15 PM

System time falling behind

The clock in windows is falling an hour behind on my pc. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

Deftones 01-03-02 11:37 PM

Re: System time falling behind

Originally posted by MACD23
The clock in windows is falling an hour behind on my pc. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
you know what, this is a good question. I can tell you how I've fixed it on my other PCs but, on my laptop, the damn solution doesn't work. When you first turn on your PC, hit F2 to go into your system setup stuff. Change the clock time on there and save it. That should do the trick. I've tried that on my laptop, though, and it won't work. I guess I'll just have to start going by that clock since it's 7 minutes fast. That just means I get to leave work 7 minutes early. :)

zuffy 01-03-02 11:38 PM

how old is your computer? sounds the battery on the motherboard is dying.

Dave99 01-03-02 11:39 PM

If your connected via cable or DSL, just get a time sync program, and have it update every 15 minutes or so. ;) A fine solution that completely ignores the root problem.
:D

Dave

belboz 01-04-02 03:03 AM

One of the really weird things about PC's is that there's no explicit provision in them to actually keep time well. Most PC's aren't off by more than a few seconds a month, but some are off by a few minutes a day, and a very few are just plain wrong. AFAIK, there's really no way to improve your PC's time keeping abilities. If your unit is just off by a few minutes a day, then going with Dave99's suggestion is a good one. I think AtomTime is a good one.

Goblincat 01-04-02 01:19 PM

Originally posted by zuffy
how old is your computer? sounds the battery on the motherboard is dying.
That's usually what it is.

OldDude 01-04-02 03:34 PM

Re: Re: System time falling behind

Originally posted by Deftones17

you know what, this is a good question. I can tell you how I've fixed it on my other PCs but, on my laptop, the damn solution doesn't work. When you first turn on your PC, hit F2 to go into your system setup stuff. Change the clock time on there and save it. That should do the trick. I've tried that on my laptop, though, and it won't work. I guess I'll just have to start going by that clock since it's 7 minutes fast. That just means I get to leave work 7 minutes early. :)

To set the time, just doubleclick on the time displayed in system bar at lower right. It brings up the date/time property window. You can fix time, date or timezone. Depending on how fast errors accumulate, downloading a program that gets correct time from a time server may be easier.

MACD23 01-07-02 11:08 PM

yes, i am connected to a cable modem via a LAN setup with a router. i will look into that auto update program. thanks for everyone's suggestions.

OldDude 01-08-02 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Dave99
If your connected via cable or DSL, just get a time sync program, and have it update every 15 minutes or so. ;) A fine solution that completely ignores the root problem.
:D

Dave

Many time sync programs also work OK with dial up internet connection, or use modem to place (long distance) call to NIST, in Boulder CO. Both ways are accurate to fraction of second. By comparison to time signal broadcast by WWV, I can't visually resolve the error.

I think an update every 15 minutes is a little excessive. If everyone did, it would place quite a demand on time servers. I don't see any problem with once a day, although I only due it about once a week. My computer accumulates about 14-15 s of error over a week.

Dave99 01-08-02 09:03 AM

I also update the time only once per day on my primary server, and that distributes the time to the rest of the computers in the house. 15 minutes might be a bit much, depends on how much he needs his clock to be accurate, but if it is off 7 minutes per hour, it still needs to be updated quite a bit.

Dave

Originally posted by OldDude

Many time sync programs also work OK with dial up internet connection, or use modem to place (long distance) call to NIST, in Boulder CO. Both ways are accurate to fraction of second. By comparison to time signal broadcast by WWV, I can't visually resolve the error.

I think an update every 15 minutes is a little excessive. If everyone did, it would place quite a demand on time servers. I don't see any problem with once a day, although I only due it about once a week. My computer accumulates about 14-15 s of error over a week.

OldDude 01-08-02 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Dave99
. . . but if it is off 7 minutes per hour, it still needs to be updated quite a bit.

Dave

If it were off 7 minutes per hour, that would be true. I reread the thread and don't see where that figure came from. One person said he was off by an hour, another by seven minutes but neither specified time over which those errors accumulated.

That would also be a serious enough error that it might be worh seeing what else is wrong. I've seen sandglasses that keep better time than that. Would certainly warrant checking mobo battery.

Jason Northrup 01-08-02 11:14 AM

This may or may not be what you're experiencing.

There is an issue with Win9x/Me that causes Windows to not keep the correct time. The time actually kept in the system hardware is usually not off in this case. To fix the problem, just reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q189706

MACD23 01-08-02 02:14 PM

yes, if i reboot, it fixes the time......but that seems like a pain in the A$$ to me. (i get thrown off when i look at my system clock and its an hour behind without my realizing it).

Jason Northrup 01-08-02 02:28 PM

Originally posted by MACD23
yes, if i reboot, it fixes the time......but that seems like a pain in the A$$ to me. (i get thrown off when i look at my system clock and its an hour behind without my realizing it).
That's about all you can do from the loks of it. Microsoft doesn't appear to have a fix for it other than thier recomendations which suck IMO.

Of course, you could always fix it by going to Win XP or 2K.

Dave99 01-08-02 03:20 PM

Of course you don't where that figure came from, it came from me scrolling down the page to fast, and mixing the 2 first posts together. ;)

Dave

Originally posted by OldDude

If it were off 7 minutes per hour, that would be true. I reread the thread and don't see where that figure came from. One person said he was off by an hour, another by seven minutes but neither specified time over which those errors accumulated.

That would also be a serious enough error that it might be worh seeing what else is wrong. I've seen sandglasses that keep better time than that. Would certainly warrant checking mobo battery.

Sominex 10-06-02 12:53 PM

My friend is having a similar problem.

He had a new computer built with ECS Board and Atholon XP CPU. He tells me it is off by like 5 hours or more all the time. It is just totally not even trying to keep track of the time correctly.

It's a new MoBo, so I would tend to say it's NOT the battery, although we can't rule it out.

Would a BIOS update or something similar help?

The only thing he told me that was "out of the ordinary" was that he isntalled some Adobe software and patch that required him to set his system clock back to 2001 for it to work.

Any ideas?

Sominex 10-09-02 01:59 AM

bump