Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Access to DVDTalk.com cut off for former @HOME customers by comcast

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-02, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a former @home customer transitioned to the new comcast network. After the transition, a number of websites have been cut off by the comcast network, including DVDTalk.

I called customer service every day since the 27th to complain about this, and every day I get the reply that the DVDTalk website must be down. I know that this is a lie because I am able to access it from my alternate dialup connection ( as I am doing now). I have many friends all over northern NJ who have the same problem.

Are there any former @home comcast customers out there who are successfully able to access DVDTalk?
Old 01-03-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try putting the IP address in directly, in this case:
http://157.238.137.205
and see if you can pull that up.

Dave
Old 01-03-02, 12:36 AM

Dave,

I already tried that. Does not work either.

Oh, by the way, I am able to ping www.dvdtalk.com. I am also able to do an nslookup on it. So I dont think it might be a DNS problem. The liars at comcast give me the BS that DVDtalk must be down for the past 7 days.

Last edited by Basant Nanda; 01-03-02 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't worry... You're not the only one getting screwed by Comcast right now. Many people in NJ and MI are going through the same thing.

See here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast
Old 01-03-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

damn, that really sucks

Old 01-03-02, 11:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably not related, but I know at one point I downloaded one of those download enhancers to help you surf faster.

the result was it created an lmhosts file with entries for webpages. Now when the webpages updated Ips etc. I was lost. The thing that tipped me off was imdb.com every time I went there I got a message saying I was using a cached copy of the home page.

so you may wanna search for an lmhosts file
Old 01-03-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
probably not related, but I know at one point I downloaded one of those download enhancers to help you surf faster.

the result was it created an lmhosts file with entries for webpages. Now when the webpages updated Ips etc. I was lost. The thing that tipped me off was imdb.com every time I went there I got a message saying I was using a cached copy of the home page.

so you may wanna search for an lmhosts file
Actually the problem (or at least some of the problems) seems to be with Comcast using poorly configured proxy servers. People are getting through when using a non-Comcast server on a different port than 80.

Now, if we could just get them to turn the damn servers off...
Old 01-03-02, 01:23 PM

Never realized how much DVDTalk means to me until this! I sorely miss this site.
Old 01-03-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Basant Nanda
Never realized how much DVDTalk means to me until this! I sorely miss this site.
I know what you mean. I can only come here at work now. That makes surfing at home pretty dull.
Old 01-03-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright! For only $45 per month, I get access to about 75% of sites, can no longer use VPN, no longer get access to Usenet, and running some different speed tests just reported that I'm connecting at speeds equal to a 5-10K modem! That's right, it only took me 4 minutes to download 340,646 bytes of text. Thanks Comcast! I know you promise me 1500K, but I'm happy with only 5.

Old 01-03-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had Comcast @ Home for over a year now and have always been able to get to this site.

My only complaints were with Comcast's suck arse name servers and email servers.

I switched to a public name server that had good speed and everything has been fine since.

I am running my own email server now so I no longer use the crapy @ home account.

Goblincat - you may also be a victim of cable shrink. Did your speed drop right around when the cold weather hit? Most people experience this to some extent because the copper in the cable contracts enough to weaken the connection at some points.
Old 01-03-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Goblincat
Alright! For only $45 per month, I get access to about 75% of sites, can no longer use VPN, no longer get access to Usenet, and running some different speed tests just reported that I'm connecting at speeds equal to a 5-10K modem! That's right, it only took me 4 minutes to download 340,646 bytes of text. Thanks Comcast! I know you promise me 1500K, but I'm happy with only 5.

call up and complain. call daily. i had to do this when i was having problems with my [email protected] service. Eventually, I got so fed up I asked to speak to a customer service manager. I eventually worked my way up to the regional manager. I got about 2 months free service for my trouble. The more noise you make, the quicker they will fix it. If nothing else, remind them that you signed a contract with them to provide you with a service and they are not providing you with that agreed upon service.
Old 01-04-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by 4KRG
Goblincat - you may also be a victim of cable shrink. Did your speed drop right around when the cold weather hit?
No... Me and everyone else in the Detroit area suffered speed drops the second after we were switched from the Mediaone network to the Comcast one. My city seems to have been hit the hardest.

Mediaone was great. I will miss them.
Old 01-04-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones17
call up and complain. call daily. i had to do this when i was having problems with my [email protected] service. Eventually, I got so fed up I asked to speak to a customer service manager. I eventually worked my way up to the regional manager. I got about 2 months free service for my trouble. The more noise you make, the quicker they will fix it. If nothing else, remind them that you signed a contract with them to provide you with a service and they are not providing you with that agreed upon service.
The current wait to get through is 2-3 hours as everyone is complaining. I don't have that kind of time. I will be complaining at some time, though.
Old 01-04-02, 12:56 PM

I have called and complained every day. The stubbornly reply that the DVDTalk website must have been down for the past week and it is still down.

There are a few other websites that I frequent that are not accessible any more.

4KRG, can you share with us the name of the public name server that you use? If it is not a problem for you, I will appreciate the info. Thanks.
Old 01-05-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw calling them up - it's usually a waste of time. Those operators are trained to not let you get anywhere past them. Deftones, I'm surprised you got as far as you did.

On your bill, there should be a section that says who the franchise authority is. It's usually your city, town, or village hall. Call that number and explain your problems with them. They should have someone who has a contact other than customer service. This is the first step in getting somewhere. It wouldn't hurt to have them review the franchise agreement for any violations. I'm sure 2 hour hold times violate the agreement. You can request a copy of the agreement - it's public information.

Why do I know about this, you ask? I work for a Village and I'm the guy people call when they've had it with AT&T Broadband's customer service.

I know it doesn't fix your problem immediately, but it's a way of getting a fire lit under their ass.
Old 01-05-02, 03:00 PM

Latest Update

A friend of mine told me to try the following command :

ipconfig /renew

I did it and my connection is fully restored. I am able to access DVDTalk now. BTW, I am running Windows NT4.0 SP3.

Everyone who has a problem with their connection should try this.

Old 01-05-02, 07:00 PM

Wow, I was actually wondering why I couldn't access DVDTalk and some other sites for the past week or so. For some reason when using IE or Opera I couldn't access, but when I went through AOL I could see everything. However, as of I believe this morning or yesterday, I can access all the sites now; at least I think so Anyway, the moral of this story is @Home is suck, Comcast is a close second...