Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Router question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Router question

Old 01-02-02, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Router question

I just bought router/switch combo. I have cable modem and I would like to share my connection using router. It is made by Linksys. I am running Win Me on both comp. I don't know how to make it work. Can someone tell me detail setup. I tried to follow steps came with router, but it jsut won't work.
Old 01-02-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you'll need to be a bit more specific about what isn't working (or what you've done so far) so we'll know whether you need help knowing which cables go where, or configuring the router's internal settings, etc.
Old 01-02-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

cable goes from cable modem to router link port

then from the router to the computers

then from the main computer, go to http://192.168.1.1

this will get you into the config menu of the router

although your book should explain all of this

and you should have a single piece of paper that says quick installation guide.. 10 steps to getting it setup
Old 01-02-02, 10:38 PM

I have done exactly what you just said, twikoff. I am not too sure what I need to do on http://192.168.1.1 according to my guide, I dont have to do too much just make sure everything is checked. I didnt even have to change anything. After that when I tried to see if i get internet connectin....no such luck.
By the way, do i need to connect both computer at the time when I am checking to see if I have interenet connection, or just the main one?
Old 01-02-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

setup up your router as your account.

your isp should have provided you w/ an ip address or you get an ip address automatically. you should have your computer name and domain and password (for example c98394, @home, *****. then make sure both your computers are on the same domain (eg @home) w/ different names (not sure if that matters).

Last edited by young; 01-02-02 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-03-02, 12:37 PM

Assuming you have put all of your network setting from your computer into the router setup. Make sure cycled the power on your cable modem b/c some models need to be cycled when the mac address changes. Then go to status and make sure that you have an ip address and dns entries. You might want to clone your mac address of your pc's nic. Some providers authenicate based on that value. If you have an ip address on the router from your provider then do a winipconfig and release and renew. You then should have an ip of 192.168.1.100 and up.
Old 01-05-02, 02:34 AM

Thanks for your advises, guys. I finally made it work. I finally did what young told me, although my manual said I didnt need to do it. It seems my speed has slown down a bit, but still beats my AOL satellite connection. I am finally AOL FREE!!!

Once again, God bless ya for saving me from AOL Hell.
Old 01-05-02, 03:47 AM

One more question...Under My Network Place in identification, do i need to put same computer name and workgroup in both comp? How do I take care of this matter. If different name, how can I make it different, since they only gave me one specific computer name.
Old 01-05-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

workgroup is for your local LAN so you can share files between your own PCs. so give each computer a different computer name but the same workgroup name (i believe that is correct... the username the ISP gave you is the login name for the router, correct?)
Old 01-05-02, 01:06 PM

I change my computer names to different from each other. However, I am not able to use my outlook express. It gives me following error mesg:

The host 'mail' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail', Server: 'mail', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

This happened ever since i've set up a router. Also, direct connect stop working, too.
help anyone?
Old 01-05-02, 03:42 PM

You did not all of the documentation with the linksys then. The alias does not get resolved through it. So you need to connect your computer directly to the cable modem. Then you ping mail and news. This will give you the ip address. Then ping -a ipaddress. This is will give the dns name. Replace mail with the dns name. Do the same with the news if you use usegroup.
Old 01-05-02, 04:04 PM

How do i ping it?
I know nothing about network setting.
I did get my dns name from my cable modem provider, which is same as my computer name in Network Identification. If that's the name I need to use it, I tried it and didnt work at all.
Old 01-05-02, 04:22 PM

goto into a dos prompt. Then type ping mail. This is give you the ip address of mail. Then type ping -a ipaddress of what the last ping gave you. This will give you the dns name of your isp's mail server. You can repeat this for the news alias if they use that too.
Old 01-05-02, 06:09 PM

Thanks, Shay. My e-mail is working again.
Old 01-05-02, 08:37 PM

No prob. I do not know what your direct connect is. I might be able to help if you elaborate on this one.