Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cable Modems..... Does brand name make a diff?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about buying a cable modem to lower my monthly bill $10. My question is are there any noticeable differences between brands and such? Thanks!
Old 01-02-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

since Ive had my service.. and been renting a modem.. they have replaced it 5 times with different brands.. each one has been better then the others

currently I have a 3com modem, and it is by far the best one that I have used

although..before you buy one.. you better call your provider and make sure it will work.. because there are different types, and not all will work with all providers.. not to mention, once you get it you will have to let them set it up in their system before it should work
Old 01-02-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't think they make that much of a difference (but i'd lean towards the 3com also). as long as they're docsis 1.1? or something like that compliant, there should be no problem but definitely check w/ your provider. i have an RCA
Old 01-02-02, 07:30 PM

I believe 3com has stopped making cable modems. Buy.com has had one their models on their buy of the day several times for pretty cheap. I second twikoff's advice of checking with your provider to make sure it is an approved modem. It should make no difference if your provider is using DOCIS and the modem is DOCIS, but try arguing with your provider over that one.
Old 01-02-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

ubid.com has had hundreds of the 3com modems lately.. selling even cheaper then ebay prices..
might want to take a look at that