Reload this Page >

Easy CD Creator Problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Easy CD Creator Problems

Old 01-01-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy CD Creator Problems

I am trying to use Memorex CD-RW discs with a Panasonic CW-7586 CD-RW drive; the Easy CD Creator 4.05 software refuses to write, claiming that the discs are invalid. Is there something I can do here to correct this? Any tips?

Thanks, RD
Old 01-01-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you need to format the cd-rw using the format feature from Easy CD Creator.
Old 01-02-02, 12:34 PM

Thanks - how do I do that?

RD
Old 01-02-02, 12:37 PM

I believe there is a FORMAT option under the File menu....or you could bring up Disc Info and I think there will be a format option available as well. Just be sure to have the disc in the drive, as not having one may not show the FORMAT option.
Old 01-02-02, 12:57 PM

I can't find anything on a FORMAT feature anywhere in the program, including the online help. This product was easy to use with CD-R, but with CD-RW, I can't get anywhere. I wonder if one has to buy a deluxe version to be able to use those?

RD
Old 01-02-02, 01:15 PM

You don't need the deluxe version in order to use CD-RW discs. Have you tried any other brands besides Memorex? Were the results the same? It's been a while since I've used EZCD Creator, or CD-RW discs, but I thought you only had to format the disc if you wanted to use the packet writing capability (Direct CD); otherwise, it just works like a CD-R. I could be wrong about this however....
Old 01-02-02, 01:16 PM

Have you tried any other brands besides Memorex?
No - this is the first time I've tried using CD-RW discs with this product. But I'm still curious as to why I can't find this "format" feature mentioned anywhere in the product...

RD
Old 01-02-02, 04:43 PM

Hey DivxGuy, you might want to check out this link from the CD-R FAQ which verifies that CD-RW discs DO NOT need to be formatted UNLESS you wish to use packet writing software (which lets you use a CD like you would use a floppy; writing files to it as necessary instead of all at once). Otherwise, they should work the same way as CD-R discs. My guess is that for some reason, the Memorex CD-RWs you have are not compatible with your drive, or they are simply a bad batch. Try using another brand of CD-RW.

But I'm still curious as to why I can't find this "format" feature mentioned anywhere in the product...
Probably because it's not there If you have Direct CD installed however, you should find a format option available in that program when you have a blank CD-RW in the drive.
Old 01-02-02, 06:05 PM

My guess is that for some reason, the Memorex CD-RWs you have are not compatible with your drive, or they are simply a bad batch. Try using another brand of CD-RW.
Are these kinds of problems typical? The owner of the drive bought it on my recommendation (I've had good luck with Panasonic), and is very unhappy right now that he can't use these discs.

Thanks, RD
Old 01-02-02, 08:35 PM

Are these kinds of problems typical?
I wouldn't say they're typical, but incompatibilities between drives and media are not uncommon either. My advice to you is to try another brand of CD-RW. If those fail as well, and everything is set up correctly (IDE cables firmly attached, etc.), then I would consider the possibility of having purchased a faulty drive which, unfortunately, has also been known to happen (like it did to me when my brand new, multi-read DVD-ROM drive failed to read any audio CDs or CD-ROMs).
Old 01-03-02, 01:55 AM

This drive reads CDs and CD-Rs, and writes CD-Rs. In my experience, a drive that is physically connected incorrectly will not do that, therefore I have been assuming that the IDE ribbon cable is in the proper position.

I was hoping that going with a Panasonic drive over a lesser brand would mean better compatibility.

RD
Old 01-04-02, 12:47 AM

I was hoping that going with a Panasonic drive over a lesser brand would mean better compatibility.
Well, there's no way to know for sure whether it's a compatibility problem, or just a bad drive without trying different CD-RWs.
Old 01-04-02, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just a side comment. EZ CD Creator has earned it's way into my hall of fame for incredibly crappy software. It had trouble recogizing my Plextor drive and refused to write with it. Nero immediately said "Cool.. 32x Plextor" EZ CD also screwed up my computer forcing enternal repeating boots until I went into safe mode. If you look at the customer support, I am forced to go thru am manually tweak my DLLs to get it to work, which I did. But my computer still would not operate normally with EZ CD installed.
Old 01-04-02, 04:24 AM

Is there any way to avoid paying $50 for Nero? I went with this software because it only cost $3. Yeah, yeah, I know, you only get what you pay for...

RD
Old 01-04-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FWIW, Memorex media is not good IMO
Old 01-04-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jabx
FWIW, Memorex media is not good IMO
Ill concur

memorex media is the thick gold back media.. doesnt work in alot of players.. same thing with sony, maxell, and some imation cds..

unless these companies have changed their cd type.. these are ones normally to avoid.. but they also are not the cheapest on the market, so not really much need to use them anyways..
Old 01-04-02, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Is there any way to avoid paying $50 for Nero? I went with this software because it only cost $3. Yeah, yeah, I know, you only get what you pay for...

RD
If you go to Nero's site, there is a free download demo.
http://www.nero.com/en/index2.htm

It seems to have most of the functionality and it not time limited. Supposedly they just don't allow you to upgrade demos with a new demo download I guess.