Reload this Page >

Computer Power Up Problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-01-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I can keep this short. My parents buy all there computers from Compusa. They have 3 of them in the house. A 5 year old PII Compusa home series, another home series Compusa PIII 650mhz, and a HP PIII 850mhz. The first one had a problem right out of the box. Would not boot I told her probably a loose hd cable. Took it back to Compusa and that was the problem. The HP power supply died 6 months after purchase and it has been going strong ever since.

Now the PIII 650 mhz is the one with problems. It does one of 2 things when you press the power button. One is that the power, hd, cdr-rw drive lights will come on and you can hear the power supply power up in the computer but you get no signal going to the monitor and the green light on the monitor turns yellow which is normal. So you have to turn off the surge protector and turn it back on and then try and power the system up again by hitting the power button on the computer. Sometimes this will take 2-3 times before the computer will boot up. Now what sometimes is happennig is that when you hit the power button on the computer you get the power light, hd light, and cdr-rw lights come on and the computer just shuts down. This also takes 2 or 3 times before it will boot up.

Ok this started before the warranty was up. The week before the 1 year warranty expired the hd failed. They keep on getting a disk boot failure. So I went with them and took the computer back to Compusa and told them about the hd problem and power up problems. They called and said the motherboard and hd were doa and had to be replaced. I asked them about the power up problems of course the dipshits could not find the problem. So they called and said it was ready for pickup. They had to replace the hd twice since the first one that arrived was also doa.

So this was back in the middle of march. A few months later same power up problems and in August they get the same "disk boot failure". So I call Compusa some idiot tells me to call thery 1-800 line for service. I ask why should I it is out of warranty. But I do and get treated very rudly on the phone because as the guy tells me why are you even calling me since I am wasting his time and the cost of a long distance phone call since it is out of warranty. Good thing I got his ext number and name before the conversation even started. So I called Compusa and told them waht happen on the phone and was bringing computer back in. Told them same power up problems and hd died again. They try to give me crap about it being out of warranty. I tell them I know that but is has been only about 4 months since the hd died again. I asked what is the warranty on the replacement parts they say 90 days. I tell them wtf gee what are you using refurbish parts. They tell me they will replace everything free of charge because of how rudely I was treated on the phone. I told them I just want the computer to be fixed. They come back and said once again they have to replace the hd and motherboard again. Once again the first hd they install in the computer is doa. They can not replicate the power up problems. So guess what power up problems continue and yesterday the hd dies again. My parents are frustrated and I am pissed. This is 3 1/2 months since the last time it died. This is the 3rd time the hd and motherboard are doa since march. So back I go down there and now they are telling me we are going to have to charge you for the full repair since it is 9 months out of warranty. I tell them ******** the hd and motherboard lasted just past the 90 day mark. I tell what about the power up problems you idiots claim never happen to you when I bring this piece of **** computer in. So they say they will probably cover the hd and motherboard but charge me for the $99 service charge and parts if they can fix or solve the power up problems. I told them I have no problem with that since I am sure that is what is killing the hd and motherboard. My parents have spent a lot of money in that store. Maybe close to 10,000. so far on printers, monitore, scanners, another computer for there granddaughter.

So does anyone have any idea what is causing these power up problems. Personally I think it's the power supply. They say it is not. Sorry for making this so long. BTW, this computer is Win 98, with 512mb. Power up problems were going on before anything else was added to the computer.

Side note. After the 2nd replacement of the hd and motherboard they told me it would of cost me about $600 if I had to pay for it. $99 for service charge and $500 for a mbo and 30 gig hd. I told them they were crazy for that price I could get almost a newer computer with all the trimmings and a way bigger hd.

Kahuna UN -
Old 01-02-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Such a horror story. Sorry to hear about all the crap you and your family has gone through. I have to agree with you on the power supply theory also. I was running into the same symptoms with my home built computer. The lights would flash all over the computer and the monitor light would just blink. Luckily, my dad had an extra power supply so I popped that one in and I could boot up again and the computer was fine. Power supplies are relatively cheap ($30-40 online) but if you know anyone who has a power supply lying around...or even just pull one out of one of the old computers you have and try that out.

If that doesn't work then my second guess would be video card. Hope everything works out okay.
Old 01-02-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you've got a bad power supply, or inadaquate power, that can kill hard drives, processors, and motherboards extremely quickly.
Old 01-02-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure sounds like a bad power supply or components killed by power issues(surges)

get a new better power supply and make sure you use a UPS or a good surge suppressor.
Old 01-02-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first took this computer in they did notice the problem once or twice and that was it. There tech people from the mainland said it could not be a power supply problem. They thought it was something grounding out on the case. So they completely broke down the computer and put it back together again. They also replaced the cpu and it still did not help. But the problem cleared up. I have told these idiots time and time again it has to be the power supply that is the only thing they have not replaced but they look at me as if I am the idiot and do not know what I am talking about.

The only think good that has come out of this so far is that the computer is 8 months out of warranty and so far my parents have not had to pay anything out of there pocket. Well I am sure they would of it I was not there. This time I am not so sure. But I am going to make sure they do not charge them for a mobo and another hd and when they call demand they change the power supply this time. Thanks for the help and will let everyone know how this turns out.

Kahuna UN -