Reload this Page >

Is it me or does AT&T Broadband stink?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-31-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm home for Christmas break from school and I'm using my parents cable internet connection. They recently got moved from @Home to AT&T Broadband. Not only has it been somewhat unreliable(although I think we have a defective cable modem) but it's been REALLY slow compared to @Home. I did a bandwith test and I was rated at 180kps. Most of my downloads don't go beyong 45k per second at best. I used to get well over 100 with @Home. Is anyone else with ATTBI in New England having similiar problems? I definately am looking forward to going back to school where I'll be able to download at 250+kps
Old 12-31-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea it does stink but thats cause we have capped service now.
Old 12-31-01, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I leave for the holidays (5 days), and return to a blinking CABLE light on cable modem, and getting no DHCP love from the ATT Broadband cable modem network. So, no high speed surfing for me from the house. I called their "help" line, and after powering everything down, waiting a couple of minutes, and powering everything back up to no avail, then the CSR offers to schedule a visit from a tech on THURSDAY! Cripes! This blows. I'm so close to ditching ATT Broadband and going with DSL.
Old 01-01-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My AT&T service is great. I average between 300 - 450K about 90% of the time. The only thing that really suck with my service is the upload speed...very slow.
Old 01-01-02, 09:27 AM

No problem here in Southeastern Mass. I'm on a former MediaOne system so that may be why I haven't had any problems as we're on a different system.
Old 01-01-02, 11:32 AM
kan

I am at north of Boston and having the ATT for 3 weeks. For most of the time, the down speed is between 400-500k. (Use www.dslreports.com for the test) the upspeed is 100k+. I bought the service from CC, the receipt said it is 1.5M.(not up to 1.5m) so I called ATT, the lady told me: " if the speed is slower than 40K, we will send a serviceman to check it out". I read the news about the merge ATT cable internet with Camcast, there are lot of complaint about ATT's service and speed. Camcast is doing more equiptment upgrade than ATT.
Old 01-01-02, 01:32 PM
Banned

I live in bridgewater, MA and we had mediaone then AT&T. after dialup for so many years we finally got road runner and i networked it to three computers in the house. i love it. i average anywhere from 25 kb/s -75 kb/s on internet downloads. --thats plenty fast for me. occasionally the services stops working and we need to unplug the modem and reboot.

dsl reports:

** Speed 433(down)/235(up) kbps **
(At least 8 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

Last edited by MACD23; 01-01-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-01-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

wow, how does att get away with giving service like that
no other providers in those areas??

Im using out local cable company.. and my connection speed never drops below 1500 kbps, and is usually between 3000-4000 kbps.. although they do cap my upstream, so its normally only at 200-300 kbps

my current dslreports test:

Test running..........
** Speed 2407(down)/239(up) kbps **
(At least 46 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.
Old 01-01-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just ran the speed test
316 down/107 up
Atleast 6 times faster than 56k modem.

Something tells me this isn't what speed I should be getting. We already have a tech coming on January 5th(assuming they actually show up unlike the last time we made an appointment) to replace our seemingly malfunctioning cable modem so I'll see if he has any ideas as to why our speed is suck.
Old 01-01-02, 03:47 PM
Banned

you have to remember that test system is based in LA....we need to use the east coast speed test server but its not available on the dsl reports. i expect to get much higher speeds on the east coast test.

ps: my web surfing flies, and my downloads are 25k/s -->75+ k/s i have not seen faster anywhere in my area of the country.
Old 01-01-02, 07:06 PM
kan

I think cross country test is a very good test for the speed. The test data is sending from our PC to ISP to backbone (the www.dspreports.com has DS3) then goes to the dslreports.com site.
When we count the file downloading speed by using software tool, it has a lot of variables in the test, ie: the service site has a slow speed or it only allocates a small ftp speed for you.
The problem I read from the news is, the hardware in there service has to be upgraded. From the time when we got the digital TV from the same cox cable, where is the bandwidth coming from? The regular cable service already has about 100 channels. Now we get more digital channels form the same cable line, now the internet broadband.
The cox cable we have from the pole to the house/building is the same. It only has a bandwidth to about 500mHz? What I knew is the cable from the pole to the central office has been replaced to a new type of high spped cox cable/fiber. The Comcast is doing a better upgrading job than ATT.
The next question is the sharing. The download data channel is shared by many users from your neighbours. The download digital data is carried by the same RF channel for many users. If more than one user are getting the data at the same time, the data will be corrupted, it needs a retransfer. The more people online, the low download speed will be. If ATT/ISP can use more equipments in the service, the less users will be on the same channel, then we we will get fast speed.
Several of my friends they live in the different towns, used speed tests, they get the different speeds: 1.4mbit, 1.0 mbit. One friend lives in the same town as mine, he only gets about 100k+.
Old 01-01-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MACD23
you have to remember that test system is based in LA....we need to use the east coast speed test server but its not available on the dsl reports. i expect to get much higher speeds on the east coast test.

ps: my web surfing flies, and my downloads are 25k/s -->75+ k/s i have not seen faster anywhere in my area of the country.
I live on the east coast.. and the results I posted were from the dslreports on the west coast.. I have used both servers on many occasions, and the results are always very close
Old 01-01-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I decided to use their online help chat. The guy on the other end must have thought I was an unknowledable moron. Look at the transcript of our chat below. I bet I know more about this stuff than the tech did.

In-Herman Smith says: Dave could you please elaborate on the issue?
You say: Sure, I'm getting downloads no faster than about 40k per second
You say: I ran a bandwith test and our speed measured only slightly higher than a 128k ISDN line
In-Herman Smith says: Dave may I have the site name where you have done the test?
You say: sure lemme dig up the url
In-Herman Smith says: Okay.
You say: www.dslreports.com/stest
In-Herman Smith says: Dave these test are not reliable and are qualified.
You say: that doesn't change the fact that my cable modem isn't performing anywhere near as fast as it did under @Home
In-Herman Smith says: Dave you will get different results on different sites.
In-Herman Smith says: Dave how fast is browsing?
You say: I realize that but the overall internet speed is noticably slower than it used to be
You say: browsing is acceptable but definately slower than it previously was
In-Herman Smith says: I do apologize for any inconvenience that this issue has caused you.
In-Herman Smith says: Dave the issue with the speed is momentary.
In-Herman Smith says: It might be due to network traffic outside and inside our network.
In-Herman Smith says: There is no change in the performance capability of the network.
You say: I find it hard to believe that my internet being slower ever since the switch is just due to network congestion
You say: we have had issues with our cable modem simply not working and I wonder ieed problem could be the modem's fault
In-Herman Smith says: Dave have you run the configurator?
You say: yes
In-Herman Smith says: The issue might not be due to the modem.
You say: there was a 36 hour period where regardless of what the tech support had me try, the modem wouldn't find the network
You say: then magically it started working again
In-Herman Smith says: The modem is perfectly online now.
You say: obviously
In-Herman Smith says: Dave I will update on the account that you are facing issues with speed.
You say: ok
In-Herman Smith says: If it is at all the times and regular then we will take up the
issue from there.
You say: we've got an appointment for the 5th for a tech to come out so I'll see if that resolves any of the issues we're having with the service
You say: ok thanks for your time
In-Herman Smith says: Thank you for your patience as we work to provide you with the best high-speed cable Internet service possible.
In-Herman Smith says: Thank you for contacting AT&T Broadband Internet, have a great year ahead,Goodbye.

I'm really hoping that DSL is available in my area. @Home was great but ATTBI=suck
Old 01-01-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Under @Home I was getting 550-650kps
Under ATTBI I've been running at about 450-500kps

I had a problem with my service (wacky two minutes on, two minutes off) for three days but overall my experience has been quite similar under both carriers.
Old 01-02-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the big switch from Mediaone to Comcast on the 30th. Very big drop in speed. Some sites (including dvdtalk) won't even come up. I can't run the speed test because it say's the IP address I'm coming from has used the max number of tests for the day. Web pages take 4-5 seconds before anything even starts to show up. The CNN homepage takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds to come up. It used to take about 1-2 seconds. This sucks.

Damn you Comcast.
Old 01-02-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ATT sucks ass! They cut my service by 1/3rd and charge me the same. I was getting

6400Kbps down/128Kbps up,

now, i'm only getting 1440Kbps/128Kbps. This cap is a bitch!