Reload this Page >

How do I extract audio from a DVD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-31-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some concert DVDs that I want to extract the audio from to make MP3s and CDs so I can listen in the car.

Anyone know how to do this?

Is there a way to do it besides just playing the DVD into my sound card input and recording?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got two options:

One is Total Recorder which is pretty much a one step solution that works by installing a sound driver and trapping the digital audio somewhere in Windows' DirectSound before it gets sent to the DAC. Basically, you hit record in the Total Recorder applet and anything that should come out of your speakers gets recorded to your HD instead. Works great for streaming audio too. It's shareware, but last time I looked it was pretty reasonably priced.

The other option is to use a ripper like SmartRipper and copy the VOB files to your HD. Then you can use XMpeg which is a video transcoder, but it also has the ability to extract the audio from a VOB file and record it to your HD as a WAV file. Both SmartRipper and XMpeg are free downloads.