Help with mini disc setup problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-31-01, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help with mini-disc setup
Against my advice my son purchased a Sony MZ-R500 mini-disc player.

I cannot get Windows ME media player to recognize the device. The wonderful Sony documentation accuses Dell of sending a stripped down OS to save money.

I have upgraded the Media Player and I still cannot get the player to recognize the device for copying music. My USB composite device has a question mark next to it. I have tried to remove and reinstall it with no luck. I have searched the Windows and Dell sites for drivers or info but have found nothing.

Any thoughts or help?
Old 12-31-01, 11:24 AM

Got this from Sonys website:

Problem Description:

Can A Sony MiniDisc Player Be Connected To A Computer?

Solution:

The ability to connect a Minidisc deck to a computer will depend on the input and output connections available on the computer.

Some Sony VAIO Digital Studio computers feature an optical digital output (S-PDIF) connection. This connection allows the transfer of audio from the computer's CDROM drive to the Minidisc recorder.

NOTE: The audio card used in the computer incorporates all the audio input and output connections available on the computer.

NOTE: The MDS PC1 is the only model recommended for connection to a computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem Description:

What Should Be Used To Connect A MiniDisc Player To A Computer?

Solution:

The cables used to connect a Minidisc deck to a computer will depend on the audio inputs and outputs that are available on the computer sound card.

If the computer has an S-PDIF (optical) connection, a standard Toslink cable can be used.

If the computer has standard A/V (RCA type) connectors, an analog audio cable can be used.

NOTE: Some Sony Digital Studio computers feature both S-PDIF and Control A1 connections.
Old 12-31-01, 11:33 AM

Do you have this?

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/dpc/index.htm
Old 01-02-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help, yes it came with a pc link cable.

I found alot of info on a minidisc board with numerous people having this same problem.

According to Sony, Dell, HP and Compaq sell PC's with stripped down OS's that lack the USB support. However, Sony has no information on where to get the proper OS. Dell says they have no idea what sony is talking about. My media player was upgraded, my Windows ME was up to date with all patches and fixes.

After seeing the number of people with problems, we returned the player.