Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need advice, SYSTEM running SLOW what do i do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-01, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my little brother's IBM aptiva AMD 400 with windows 98 is running at a snails pace. he has downloaded TONS of crap, mp3s, movies, stupid little programs, etc....he had tons of stuff running on startup etc.

i want to fix his machine, but avoid doing a complete rebuild.....what steps should i take to bring it back to the way it was. i am starting by removing any programs he doesn't use. i have had success removing most, but some i get something like this when i click to remove them:

the following file does not exist or it is not a valid uninstallation log file:

c:\foldername\filename_uninstal.log

and then it brings me back to the programs list....how do i remove those???

also, after i get all unecessary programs removed, i am having this sytem only open necessary processes on startup, and i plan on doing a disk cleanup, scan disk and defrag....any other suggestions?
Old 12-30-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when the system is overloaded with THAT much crap, i suggest a clean install after a format.
Old 12-30-01, 05:21 PM
Banned

well like i said i dont want to do a rebuild....

my main question is how do i remove stuff from the add/remove programs list if its saying uninstal.log files are missing?
Old 12-30-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
You can control your start-up buy doing this:

Start>Run>msinfo32>Tools>System Config Utility>Startup

Then uncheck anything you don't want to run at startup.

As for the uninstall fragments, I'd just do a search for whatever file pieces are left, right-click and delete.

Be sure to defrag after you do all of that to get things back in order.
Old 12-30-01, 05:34 PM

If the program doesn't start when selected then you may have already deleted the program. If not, then just manually delete the files (both from it's directory and from the programs folder).

You can also disable programs from startup by going through start>programs>accessories>system tools>system information

Under the menu heading tools select system configuration utility and you'll see a tab for startup. This will let you choose which programs will startup if you can't disable them elsewhere.

On a system that slow it would be best to do a clean install and install only what is needed. It will take less time then searching out programs and the computer will definitely run faster with better stability (based on experience). If you have all the latest drivers and programs on cd it really would be the best option.
Old 12-30-01, 05:42 PM
Banned

ok thanks......i have removed many of the programs now, but some still appear in the add/remove programs list.......when i try to delete them it says that it cannot find certain files and says the uninstall is unsuccessful.....how do i manually remove those from the programs list?
Old 12-30-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
OK, this worked when I couldn't shake iMesh from the list:

Start>Run>msinfo32>Tools>System Config Utility>Startup

Then, click the "Cleanup" tab at the bottom of the startup box. If it's not there I apologize. I'm running ME and haven't ran '98 for quite a while.
Old 12-31-01, 08:26 AM

To remove bogus entries from the 'Add/Remove Programs' list, install TweakUI. It is on the Win98 CD (I believe in the 'Tools\Reskit' folder. It's an INF file; right-click on it and select 'Install'), or you can download it. Once installed, you'll have a new icon in Control Panel to access its functions. One of the sections allows you to remove these entries. There's some other handy stuff it can do as well...
Old 12-31-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds like someone deleted the folders for the programs, including the uninstallers which is why you are unable to remove the programs via Add/Remove

you can get TweakiUI like mentioned and get rid of the entries, but most likely all the registry entries that the programs added are still in the registry (not good)
Old 12-31-01, 11:04 AM
Banned

thanks. i'll use tweakui to remove them....but you are right about them probably being in the registry, and yes that is not good. the system is running 10x better, but a complete rebuild is probably in its near future. thanks again.