Reload this Page >

Handspring Visor & NiMH batteries

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-29-01, 02:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a fresh pair of NiMH AAA batteries shows the battery meter as being already low. Handspring says only use Alkaline batteries. Is there any way I can fix this problem? I like using rechargable batteries.
Old 12-29-01, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are Alkaline rechargable batteries. Granted they're not as good as NiMH batteries and you'd probably need a new alkaline charger it's the only solution I know of. I wouldn't use the NiMH batteries in the Visor because they could leak. I don't know this for sure but this is a similiar situation I had with my Gameboy Advance. Nintendo says not to use NiMH or any other kinds except Alkaline due to possible leaking. That's all I know about the subject.
Old 12-29-01, 03:04 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

leaking is bad. I lost my palm pilot too it. I'd avoid, because honestly it isn't worth it. Or is it?
Old 12-29-01, 04:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Leak? How does this work?
Old 12-30-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure but I'd imagine the battery "pops" due to something or other (I have a CIS degree and not a Chem degree ) and then all the lovely battery acid leaks out and goes to war on the poor little Visor. I'd do a Google search on the matter but I'm too lazy.
Old 12-30-01, 02:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Why shouldn't I worry about this happening to my digital camera, where NiMH batteries are the standard?
Old 12-30-01, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a feeling it has something to do with the voltage. Anyway, you got my curious about this and I did a Google search and came up with these sites:
http://www.thepalmtree.com/nimh.htm
http://www.4gdo.com/batfaq.htm

Apparently, it's okay to use the NiMH batteries but how much juice is left in them is displayed improperly.
Old 12-30-01, 02:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Well new question: In the Palm Tree page it says this "Warning: Becareful not to let the NiMH's run down too low. The NiMH batteries seem to give out very quickly when they get down to about 2.3 volts on the Pilot, sometimes before the warning dialog box appears ! Replace them we the voltage gets down to the 2.3 - 2.4 range."

So how can I tell when the voltage gets down to the 2.4 range?
Old 12-30-01, 02:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

dan: thanks for the google search btw
Old 12-30-01, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have this nice little program called aTool! on my Visor. It's monitors the battery usage and displays the voltage. I bet you could find it over at www.download.com If not, I could probably just zip it up and send it to you.
Old 01-15-02, 06:19 PM

Forgive me if you already know about this, but ...

When I put freshly charged NIMH batteries into my Visor it registers about 75% battery power until I tell the Visor what type of batteries I am using. Unfortunately, there is no setting for NIMH, but there is one for NiCad and that is a much better gauge than Alkaline.

To change the battery type:

Start a new memo and then in the grafitti area write the shortcut icon (a lower-case cursive L), then a dot (two taps), then a '7' in the number area. That should change the battery type through one of three types (Alkalkine, Rechargable Alkaline and NiCad).