just upgraded to winXP - 1st impressions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-29-01, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Win2000pro to winXPpro

no need, i just wanted to and as i had just put together the system, i thought it would be better to do it now than after i get a whole bunch of stuff loaded/installed.

it couldn't find the drivers for my SB live card (downloaded drivers from creative labs) and for my Geforce 3 Ti200 card (again, downloaded from nvidia).

overall, it snazzier but it feels a bit slower... maybe all these darned animations. did a quick 3dmark2001 and the scores are basically the same from win2k - ~7700. loading times do not seem faster to me. again, it feels a bit slower than before.

considering getting Plus! for XP just for the fish screen saver... but what additional USEFUL features does it have? i don't know.
Old 12-29-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: just upgraded to winXP - 1st impressions

Originally posted by young
...considering getting Plus! for XP just for the fish screen saver... but what additional USEFUL features does it have? i don't know.
Not much. Gives you a few different desktop themes and screen savers, a couple of games that I bored of quickly. I do enjoy the themes and screensavers though!
Old 12-29-01, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just beware, the fish screensaver on XP Plus is just the demo. You can get the full version or the demo at http://www.fish-byte.com/ XP Plus is not worth the money, IMO.

You can speed up things a bit in XP by turning off some of the display features. Right click on My Computer to get the System Properties. Click on over to the Advanced tab and then click the "settings" button underneath Performance. Here you can play around with all the nifty display settings in XP. I'd recommend turning off the "Show shadows under menus" option. It'll speed up things a lot on menus.
Old 12-29-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the login has changed to a nifty icon based system. the problem is that the main administrator account is hidden unless booting into safe mode or if it is the only administrator account. i tried to change the other accounts to limited but it won't change the last one as it needs 2 administrator accounts?
Old 12-29-01, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since apparently you can't change your personal account (as far as I know), you can disable the local administrator account. Check out this Microsoft solution: Linkage