Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Registry problems with dvd-rom and cd-rw drives

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-28-01, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend got a new computer and his cd-rw was working fine, however he was burning with Media Player, so I gave him Nero. Then the computer wouldn't recognize the drive. I went over there and got it to recognize it, but it says under properties that the registry is incomplete or damaged, or something to that effect.

The same message is given for the dvd-rom drive. I don't know if that was like that before the Nero installation or not, he never tried the dvd out. I tried to re-install the drivers, but since neither drive works, I can't get the computer to read the cd that came with the computer. Anyone have any ideas or explanations? Thanks.

BTW, it is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX550
Old 12-28-01, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remove the cd-rw and dvd-rom from Device Manager and reboot. Let Windows redetect the devices and see what happens.
Old 12-28-01, 09:04 PM

I tried that, one at a time though, and the same thing happened I believe. I'll try again though. Thanks.
Old 12-29-01, 08:35 PM

bump

any ideas?
Old 12-29-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

operating system?

if it is win xp.. this is a problem I have seen with nero..
try uninstalling nero and reinstalling, and making sure to use nero's aspi drivers (or is it that you werent suppose to use their aspi drivers, cant remember now)
Old 12-29-01, 10:12 PM

It is XP... i had him completely uninstall Nero, but the problem persisted.

I guess I'll try with the ASPI drivers (is that correct, or the other way around?). Thanks.
Old 12-29-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gev115
It is XP... i had him completely uninstall Nero, but the problem persisted.

I guess I'll try with the ASPI drivers (is that correct, or the other way around?). Thanks.
In XP, you can use the System Restore feature to roll back to the system before you install Nero.
Old 12-30-01, 03:17 PM

Does system restore wipe out everything since then, even word documents and such? Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gev115
Does system restore wipe out everything since then, even word documents and such? Thanks for the advice.
no, system restore will restore only the system files, configuration and setting to the restore point you want.

From the XP help:

"System Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time. "
Old 12-30-01, 05:47 PM

Wow, hopefully that will work. I'm going over there tomorrow to try again. Thanks.
Old 01-02-02, 03:25 PM

Still couldn't fix it. System Restore only showed back-up points for the past 4 days. He installed the program and started having problems about 6 days ago. Any other ideas?