Reload this Page >

Pioneer DVD-116 region free capability?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-28-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried searching DVDtalk for various links to find region free firmware for my new pioneer DVD-116 DVD rom drive, but I couldn't really find any and the ones I could find were no longer available. Does anyone know where I can download the patch/firmware/whatever you call it to make my drive permanently region free? Also, would it still be able to play RCE discs? And PAL? Sorry for the questions, I've been a stand-alone dvd player owner until now, and while it is region free, it would be nice if I could have my DVD-rom drive be region free too.

No need for a terribly quick reply, I got the drive and the motherboard and case and stuff, but I'm still missing the processor, which won't get here until monday (hopefully).
Old 12-28-01, 05:57 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=162831

Here's the regionfree firmware for the Pioneer 106 http://digilander.iol.it/firmware1/dvd106_122rpc1.zip

And here's a drive speed changer to quiet it down http://downloads.pioneer-support.de/.../dvd6utils.zip

I haven't tried either of them, perhaps someone who has used these exact programs can verify that they work.

When you flash the drive, boot up in DOS, don't do this in a DOS window. Copy the files to your hard drive's root directory and run from there. Of course, follow the directions exactly.

The speed change program has a bunch of stuff in it. You only want to use the speed control utilities which appear to be named SPDW2K.exe and SPDW9X.exe depending on your OS.
Old 12-28-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will that, which is for the 106, also work for the 116?
Old 12-28-01, 06:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
will that, which is for the 106, also work for the 116?
I'm not sure. But this one says 116 http://digilander.iol.it/pioneerdvd/116f_122.zip
Old 12-29-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, as soon as my computer is up and running. Are there any good DVD playing programs for linux?
Old 01-03-02, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked at the readme for the region free firmware upgrade, but I don't know what IDE my DVD drive is, master, slave, secondary slave, whatever...how do I check?

thanks. or is there some easier to run region-free software?
Old 01-04-02, 12:56 AM

I looked at the readme for the region free firmware upgrade, but I don't know what IDE my DVD drive is, master, slave, secondary slave, whatever...how do I check?
You should be able to find out drive settings in the BIOS or boot up screen, or just open the case and look at the drive jumpers and IDE cable connections.

is there some easier to run region-free software?
The only way to get region free operation is by flashing the drive with the region-free firmware. Then, the software you use must also support region-free play. Sorry, I can't recommend any player software for Linux though...
Old 01-04-02, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else have the firmware update X recommended? I don't doubt it, I'm just wondering how it works...do you have to switch regions every time, and will it play RCE discs?
Old 01-04-02, 07:47 PM

do you have to switch regions every time
You only have to flash the drive once. Then, once the software is set up for region-free play, you're all set.
will it play RCE discs?
Maybe. These types of DVDs actively check the drive's region code, and supposedly will not play on code-free players. Check out THIS FAQ for more info on RCE. On the other hand, I don't think this technology is in widespread use yet...
Old 01-04-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And if it can't play RCE discs, I always have my stand alone region free player that does. Thanks for the info.