Reload this Page >

heatsink fan not working help please :)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-27-01, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I have my system up and running and everything so far is okay except the CPU fan. Its on a thermaltake volcano 5 and the one plug that it has is plugged into the right spot..but its not spinning...do I call newegg and get a new one? youd think it would spin since there is only one plug.

also when I started my epox 8kha+ for the first time and every time after that it always sais "Warning your cpu has changed please make the corrections, save and restart..I was wondering if something is really wrong because it says cpu speed is 1040 ghz or something close to that and I have an amd 1600 xp or 1.4 ghz..thankx
Old 12-27-01, 11:02 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did you try plugging the fan into one of the other fan headers on the mobo? there's usually 2 or 3 headers for fans.

not sure about the second problem. maybe getting the fan up and running will keep the cpu sufficiently cool and in turn correcting the second error.

--HN
Old 12-27-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is your FSB speed at 100MHz or 133MHz?
Old 12-28-01, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

try another fan header. the first time you boot the system the bios sets itself to 100 FSB. DO NOT CHANGE THIS TILL YOUR FAN IS WORKING!

after you have the fan working then go into the bios and set the cpu to 133 FSB and away you go

maybe you have the fan plugged in backwards? try reversing the plug just for kicks.
Old 12-28-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I moved it to a new fan slot and it works now however I cant get the fan rpm info bewcause its not plugged into the slot that it was meant for...shoudl I still send it back?

Also....here is the message im getting when I start up

WARNING! Your CPU has been changed....please re enter CPU setings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before you exit..
Old 12-28-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it works on a different header it is your motherboard and not your fan.

Send back the motherboard and get a new one since you seem to be having alot of problems with it