Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Fixing an overheating laptop ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-27-01, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several desktop computers, I finnally shell out the dough and got myself a laptop and it is running hot ... I mean hot as temperature !!!!

It depends on what application you are running too ... If I played a DVD in it for about 30 minutes then it froze and when I touch the bottom the laptop it is burning hot !

My son played a games from a CD on it for an hour before it's starting to get hot.

Then two days ago, I forgot to turn it off so it just idle for about couple hours and I was busy upstair and the alarm (almost as loud as my house alarm) .... I run downstair to find out it was the laptop and it is burning hot ... I turn it off and then turn it on again after it's cool down ... everything look Ok ... don't know if anything has broken or melt down !!!

Everything is oked it I just use it for less than 30 min. ... :-(

Finally, I decided to look at it and find out that after I turn it on, the fan is on but then it stop ... I thought the fan suppose to be on all the time the computer is on right but not sure. This is my first laptop so I have no idea what to do ! Should I replace the fan ? Is it hard to do ? I played with my desktop a lot but not this !

My is a HP Pavilion N5490 with P3 1GHz running Window ME 256MegRAM DVD/CD-RW combo !

Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks !
Old 12-27-01, 01:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like warranty time. You don't have the heat vents blocked by anything, do you?
Old 12-27-01, 01:55 PM

Well, I am not sure about the heat vent blockage ... I didn't completely open the back of it ... so far, I just open the battery compartment, the Memory (2 slot occupied), and another opening but not the whole thing ... how do I check the heat vent for blockage ?

Oh, what about the fan ? is it supposed to be on all the time ?
Old 12-27-01, 02:04 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the laptop is getting that hot, then the internal fan (if there is one) should be running at least part of the time to help dissipate the heat out of the inside of the laptop.

Check the sides and back of the laptop for venting holes. This is usually where the internal heatsink is located in the laptop. There should also be a fan mounted on or near that heatsink to blow air over the heatsink and out of the laptop.

Sounds like if there is a fan, then it's not running at all and that's why your laptop is overheating.

-BT
Old 12-28-01, 01:22 AM

ok ... I check the laptop ... there are two vents: one under the DVD/CD-RW combo and the other one on the opposite side and have a fan above it. This is the only fan I can see ... and it's run on and off.

I pop in a DVD for about 30 min. it starts getting hot ... keep checking the fan and it's on and then off again ... turn if off.

I attempt to open the laptop but after unscrew about 10 screw in the back I still can't get it open ... :-(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Is there any diagnostic tool that can tell me what's wrong with it ?
I run the Hp diagnostic tool but it tell me squat ... don't even have the word 'fan' in it ....