Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

USB connection quirkiness with my digital camera - anyone else have this problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB connection quirkiness with my digital camera - anyone else have this problem?

Old 12-27-01, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WinME
AMD 1.2Ghz
512 RAM
Olympus Camedia D-510 digital camera

When I want to dump photos from the camera to my computer I have to connect my camera, disconnect, and then connect again in order for everything to work properly.

When I initially connect the camera via USB to the computer, the connection doesn't completely work. The camera shows up as an external drive but I'm not able to copy or cut files from that drive.

My little kludge works - right click on the icon to "unplug or eject a drive" and disconnect the camera. And then re-connect the camera. But it takes an extra 10 or 15 seconds and it shouldn't be necessary. Is there maybe a way to fix my problem for good?
Old 12-27-01, 11:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

You might have to update your USB drivers (should be part of you motherboard driver set). What happens when you plug the camera in and then boot the computer up?
Old 12-28-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason Northrup
You might have to update your USB drivers (should be part of you motherboard driver set). What happens when you plug the camera in and then boot the computer up?
I'll try connecting the camera before I boot up next time and see what happens.

I have an ASUS motherboard - whatever the popular model is - "KTV****?"

Should I check the ASUS site for current drivers? Is that upgrade process as simple as it is for other types of hardware - printers, etc.?

-thanks