Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh No! I think i just ruined my cpu!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-27-01, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new cpu for xmas so i decided to install it today.

I left the computer plugged into the wall (on at the wall but off at the comp) and i wore an anitstatic wrist strap which was attached to the computer case.

I took out the old cpu (the heat sink and fan were tough to get unhooked). Then i put in the new one and changed the jumper settings on the motherboard.

Then i discovered the new heat sink and fan id gotten for it didnt fit on the motherboard. I thought about trying the old one and managed to pull it off the old cpu. But i changed my mind about that - some of the grease or whatever it is on the heat sink had come off and messed up. So i removed the new cpu and put back the old one. I got the old heat sink and fan back on and powered up. The computer did nothing. The lights were on but it didnt boot or anything (no beep or anything).

I took out the cpu to check it was in correctly. Yup it was in alright. I tried again, still nothing. Then i remembered the jumpers on the motherboard (which i had never set back to the old settings), so i set the jumpers back to the original way and powered up, still nothing.

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

so what part caused it to crap out? dear god i hope the new cpu isnt destroyed as well!
Old 12-27-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try unplugging the computer, clearing the CMOS and reinstalling the old CPU again....

Well?
Old 12-27-01, 01:25 AM

Im not sure how you clean the cmos. Ill have a look in the motherboard manual (Gigabyte 6vx7-4x).

thanks for the ray of hope though!
Old 12-27-01, 01:48 AM

Make sure that when you install the old cpu again that none of the pins are bent/damaged.

Also, play close attention to get the CPu seated in the slot firmly and evenly.

Best of luck.
Old 12-27-01, 01:57 AM

it worked! thank the lord! it worked!

woohoo

jeepers i was soooo annoyed with myself! i really thought id screwed up my computer for good. whew.

Thanks sooo much for the advice. The internet can ocassionally be annoying and seemingly filled with inconsiderate jerks but places like this forum and life saving help from people like you two remind me of how great it is to be connected to this world wide web of ours!
Old 12-27-01, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did the exact same thing about four days ago. I built my first computer and set the fsb to 166x10.0 on a 1.33 cpu She went dead in the water as soon as I saved changes and exited bios. I tried unplugging it - nothing. Took out the battery - nothing. Then someone posted about clearing the cmos on the board itself (which on my asus involved shorting out two silver posts near the battery). After doing that and setting the proper fsb to 133x10.0 she's running great. I just wanted to share that you weren't the only one who had a stressful OMG panic moment over the holidays Good luck and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-27-01, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shuki
I did the exact same thing about four days ago. I built my first computer and set the fsb to 166x10.0 on a 1.33 cpu She went dead in the water as soon as I saved changes and exited bios. I tried unplugging it - nothing. Took out the battery - nothing. Then someone posted about clearing the cmos on the board itself (which on my asus involved shorting out two silver posts near the battery). After doing that and setting the proper fsb to 133x10.0 she's running great. I just wanted to share that you weren't the only one who had a stressful OMG panic moment over the holidays Good luck and Happy Holidays!!
Told you to just leave it as it was... And here you go messing with the fsb settings... j/k
Old 12-27-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should have known not to venture out alone....

But this stupid case alarm keeps going off!!! I checked the manual and it said two things could be causing this type of alarm. One, the cpu was too hot. I knew that wasn't the case since I had mbm 5 going. Next was that system frequency was too low. So I opened bios and it was set to 100 and the DRAM was set to 100. Figured I'd bump it up to 133 on each. After about 20 minutes stupid alarm goes off again. Figured I'd fix it for sure this time and set that baby to 166 each! Well I fixed it alright......
Old 12-27-01, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But this stupid case alarm keeps going off!!! I checked the manual and it said two things could be causing this type of alarm. One, the cpu was too hot. I knew that wasn't the case since I had mbm 5 going. Next was that system frequency was too low. So I opened bios and it was set to 100 and the DRAM was set to 100. Figured I'd bump it up to 133 on each. After about 20 minutes stupid alarm goes off again. Figured I'd fix it for sure this time and set that baby to 166 each! Well I fixed it alright......
Case alarm? Did you put the thermal paste on correctly? If not, you could overheat. Otherwise I don't know what case alarm you're having. Email me and I'll try to help you figure it out.
Old 12-28-01, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The cpu could still be too hot and MBM 5 might not catch it fast enough although if that was the case you probably would have fried it by now.

are you sure it is not MBM giving the alarm due to fans being too slow or voltage problems or ... ?

check your settings to make sure. also i would recheck the manual to make sure you are not setting a jumper wrong. of course maybe it is because you need to flash the bios. many older bioses give weird readings or have problems with the XP of course if you do not have an XP then ignore me .
Old 12-28-01, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's my situation in a nutshell:

I bought the asus a7v-133c and the 1.33Ghz t-bird to go along with it. From the beginning (pre mbm 5) I get a case alarm going off. Sometimes it's as soon as windows boots up, sometimes its 20-25 minutes after booting up, and then there's the rare occasion when I'm on for say an hour or hour and a half with no alarm. I'm positive it is not the cpu temp. I check it in bios and it's dead on with mbm 5 (@49 idle).

I called asus yesterday and was on hold for like 45 minutes before finally talking to someone (I figure it is all of the Christmas purchases trying to get set up correctly). They thought it might possibly be a short somewhere between the board and the case. So I pulled it out of the case and hooked up only the HDD, memory, cpu, HSF and power supply. No difference.... after about 10 minutes of running the alarm went off again!?!? The board is not touching anything metal at all. It's simply sitting on a cardboard box and the alarm still sounds off! I called back and hung up after another half hour of being on hold. I'll try calling them back again here in a few hours.

I hope it is just a bios setting that I can adjust (but I'm pretty bios illiterate as you can tell from my setting the fsb to 166 ) The board came with stock bios version 1005a. there is an updated bios (ver 1007 I think) that I can d/l at asus that simply says it adds XP support. But since I don't have an XP cpu I didn't think it would help. can someone please HELP!!
Old 12-28-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen a case alarm in a long time, but I had one in a Micron PC I had once - and what this particular alarm alerted you to was that the case was OPEN. That's all. Back then they didn't do temperature monitoring.
Old 12-29-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

used the Asus updater program on the mobo cd and flashed up to ver 1007. Problem solved! no more alarms