I need CPU upgrade help!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-26-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

win98

I'm going to admit here that the hardware issues are my weak point on pc's so if some of this sounds dumb forgive me.

My system performance drops below 65% after the pc has been on for a few hours. When this happens i get disconnected from the net. ATT net says that's what happens with their software if performance drops below 65%. I can shut the pc down and restart and the performance will jump back up to 85%. I thought maybe it was a heat issue but i couldn't figure out why rebooting the system would clear it up.

Currently i have a Hewlett Packard Pavillion 6475z. 466mhz celeron cpu, 512mb sdram, 100mhz bus, no l2 caches as far as i can tell. I also have a 64mb 3d prophet 2 video card installed.

The problem is i think it has a condor motherboard, but this particular mobo has no pins to change voltage. I can't find any condor mobos schematics that match mine. The 512 mb of ram i installed is 133mhz bus not 100mhz bus but i haven't noticed any problems from that.

I thought maybe if i upgraded my cpu to the 1.2ghz range, new fan and heat sink it would clear up my problem. But i'm not sure if my mobo could handle that. For that matter i'm not sure how to even do it. As in, is there a voltage issue, bios setup, or anything else i would have to do? I saw a celeron 1.2ghz for $110 that included the fan and heatsink and to change out these seems the cheapest option vs building one from scratch or buying a new one.

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by vaporware; 12-26-01 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A 466 Celeron is 66MHz bus unless you're overclocking. The newer Celerons are the only ones that are 100MHz. I would highly doubt that your current MB will support a 1.2 gig Celeron. Also depending on the case your HP uses you'll probably need a new case if you upgrade your MB. HP, Compaq and others many times use cases that are propritory as far as what components will fit in them. If your performance increases after rebooting I'd guess a memory leak somewhere in Windows or some program running in the background.
Old 12-27-01, 02:09 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

512MB RAM and Windows 98/ME do not mix well. Microsoft has admitted to severe memory leaks when running more than 256MB RAM on Win98/ME. That could be the source of your performance problems causing you to get logged off from your ATT dial-up service. Try taking out 256MB of RAM (if you can) and see if that alleviates the problem.

Of course if you're running Win2k or XP this is all moot...

-BT
Old 12-27-01, 02:20 PM

My system performance drops below 65% after the pc has been on for a few hours. When this happens i get disconnected from the net. ATT net says that's what happens with their software if performance drops below 65%. I can shut the pc down and restart and the performance will jump back up to 85%. I thought maybe it was a heat issue but i couldn't figure out why rebooting the system would clear it up
Do a fresh boot, then do Control-Alt-Delete. Kill all running apps except for explorer and systray. let the machine run for a few hours, come back and check the resource level. If it is still low, its a memory leak issue (which Win98 and 98SE are infamous for). I would recommend upgrading to Win2K or XP - I went to XP and I love it - I've had one BSOD in 3 months - I used to get three per day! Resources are in the high 80's to low 90 %ages no matter how long I leave the machine on - obviously they dip when running several apps). Win2K is also a great alternative, but hardware and gaming compatability are issues there, where in XP tey are not (not nearly as much, anyway).

Last edited by goatweed; 12-27-01 at 02:29 PM.