Reload this Page >

Audio CD-Rs in PC CD-R drives?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-25-01, 07:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some Audio CD-Rs for Christmas and was wondering if I could use them with a computer CD-R drive (probably can't for data, bur wondering if I can for music). I was under the impression that I couldn't, but I just wanted to know before I thought about trying too return them.

I'd like to get more than just a yes/no answer, but something to support the answer.
Old 12-25-01, 08:10 PM

Check THIS LINK from the CD-R FAQ for some info...
Old 12-25-01, 11:26 PM
Needs to provide a working email

The only difference between Audio CD-R and normal CD-Rs is that the bloodsuckers of the RIAA insisting on taxing Audio CD-R in case they were to be used to copy Audio CDs. Audio CD-Rs have a bit on them that tells the stand-alone Audio CD recorder that these are the taxed disks, with the players refusing to record on "normal" CD-Rs. PC CD-Rs ignore that bit, so the only thing you do by using Audio CD-Rs in it is put a bit more jingle in the pockets of a few multi-millionare executives.
Old 12-27-01, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIAA bloodsuckers ... good one!

That's right.

Audio CDRs are meant for standalone audio burners. They have security data on the ATIP of the cdr (the inner ring) and if it's not detected by the standalone recorder then it won't burn. However, since computer burners don't check for this it doesn't matter. Other than that audio and computer cdrs should be identical except for pricing.

Notice that audio only cdrs are at least 2-4x more expensive?

Big Brother introduced this on commercial audio burners because they figured that everyone was going to pirate music and so they might as well get a piece of the action. What they couldn't do is control computer burners because they were beyond their jurisdiction or something like that hence the disparity.