Reload this Page >

Internet Access through Cell Phone

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-25-01, 04:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is not about DVDs, but I could really use some help...

I have a regular dial-up Internet access (internal 56k modem and a phone line). Can I use my cell phone as a phone line? I have a Nokia 51xx model. What other equimpent would I need (i.e. how would I connect my PC to the cell phone)? Would be reliable? fast? Has anyone ever done it? (since people do it with laptops, I assume it can be done with a PC )

Thanks in advance; any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Happy holidays...
Old 12-25-01, 11:42 PM

I use a Nokia 6185 to connect sometimes to the internet. You need a data cable. I am not sure what model it is for your phone, but the my phone uses a DLR-3 cable. Then you need to check with your provider. I use SprintPCS. On Sprint you must subscribe to the wireless web for 5 bucks month or they will charge you 39 cents a minute to connect. The speed is stated at 19.2, but there is a lot of latency involved so the actual speeds are lower.
Old 12-26-01, 02:53 PM
Cool New Member

I thought Wireless Web means using your cell phone as a browser...

My ISP is NetZero Platinum. My wireless provider is Verizon (and/or Singular). NetZero gives you a local access number that I dial thru my regular phone line. I'd like to dial that number with my cell phone (and get rid of my regular phone altogether).

You think my wireless provider would charge me extra? Why would they care whether I dial a local number which is Netzero's and stay connected for 1 hour as opposed to calling a friend and talking for 1 hour?

In any event if the best you I could get is 19.2, the idea is dead.
BTW, how much is a DLR-3 cable and where would you get it?
Old 12-26-01, 04:55 PM

Wireless Web is also for dialing the internet on Sprint, Verizon maybe different. Essentially you are paying for the modem on the wireless providers end. I guess. I got the cable bundled with the phone on ebay. I think it runs around 50 or so by itself. You can use or on isp if you plug in their access number, or Sprint provides an isp of their own. I use Sprint's isp b/c I do not any of my own isp's services.
Old 12-26-01, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks...
I guess my regular phone isn't going anywhere any time soon
Old 12-27-01, 02:07 AM

If you really feel like getting rid of the regular phone, try looking into satalite internet access.

This has been available for some time, but it has been, up until recently, only one way. You would still need a phone to send the requests for information, but you would recive that information from the satalite.

Recently, however, some companys have started using a two way satalite technology that does not need a phone line. As an added bonus, it's much faster than dial up.

You might also want to look into a cable isp. But most people hate the cable company as much as the phone company.

Good luck
Old 12-27-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I'm with Sprint PCS and have never tried connecting to the net through a cell phone, I know it can be done. All you need is a special connector that will connect your cell phone to your modem and you'd just use the cell phone to dial the number of NetZero Platinum.

At least you used to be able to do this a few years ago - I really haven't heard and/or read about anyone doing this recently. You could probably find a compatible connecting cable on eBay or at Verizon. Just remember that you're going to be charged for all the minutes you're online, but it's just at the regular rate for talk minutes, so hopefully you've got quite a few.
Old 12-27-01, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks Blake, that's exactly what I am looking for. I just don't know what kind of a device (modem/cell phone connector) I would need, how it would look like and where to find it. Then, I would think, I'd just leave my cell phone on and the PC would dial the number... (I have all those unlimited night and weekend minutes)

Sattelite access is way too expensive. You need to spend about $700 on equip and installation and then you pay $80 a month for a non guaranteed 128kb Uplink speed (Downlink is somewhere between 384 and 1024 or so , also non-guaranteed). My little town does not have DSL or Cable Modem.

I can't believe nobody uses cell phone and PC together. Where are all those laptop owners who work from the beach in TV commercials? (-: