Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

URGENT, installed new HD, where is my cd rom?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-25-01, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i installed a Maxtor 40 GB harddrive as the slave to my existing 8 GB harddrive. when i rebooted, i went into cmos setup and changed the primary slave to autodetect then went into fdisk and created a primary partition for the new harddrive. when i rebooted and went into windows, it made the new drive D:, now my cd rom (which was D:\) isn't there! what did i do wrong? what do i do to fix it? --dave

HELP!

Last edited by MACD23; 12-25-01 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-25-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this 50gb hard drive connected to the same IDE cable as the 8gb? If that's the case, then check the ide cable connection for the cd-rom, it might be loose. Otherwise, check your master, slave, cable select jumpers on hard drive to make they are properly connected.
Old 12-25-01, 07:05 PM
Banned

the hard drives are on one IDE cable with two connectors. the master connector goes into the existing 8 GB hard drive (whose jumpers are set to master). the slave connector goes into the new 40 GB harddrive (whose jumpers are set to slave). the cd rom has its own IDE cable. the jumpers on the cd rom are set to master. i can't figure out what went wrong here. my cd rom was d:\ , now the new harddrive is d:\ and the cd rom is gone.
Old 12-25-01, 07:15 PM
Banned

zuffy, thank you much. it turns out when i was installing the new master/slave ide cable, i jarred loose the connection of the ide from the cd rom to the motherboard. after pushing in the cable tight and rebooting, the system found the cd rom as drive E:\. thanks again, merry x mas all.
Old 12-25-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MACD23,

I'm glad you that you found the problem. Just when you thought all the connections are tight, it's not.

Merry Christmas