Reload this Page >

CD-Burner keeps throwing up!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-24-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I stuck my functioning Liteon 24x10x40x CDRW burner drive into a PC with an Abit BH6 (with the SS Bios update, latest one I could find), and no matter if it's primary slave or secondary master, it keep spitting out the CD tray. I put a CD in the tray, and hit the button to close the tray, the tray goes in, a second later, the drive spits out the tray. It does it repeatedly. Any ideas? Maybe the new burner drives don't like my old old motherboard?

This occurs before the operating system gets loaded up. And the operating system (W2K) does recognize the drive correctly being connected to the motherboard/system.

The drive works fine in my other PC, which has an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard.
Old 12-25-01, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you try connecting the power adapter to the cd-rom only and discoonect the ide cable to see if the problem still occur? If the problem disappear, try a new IDE cable and/or you might have a configuration issue. IF the problem still occur, try using a dust blower to or clean the inside of the cdrom. Might just be some dirt blocking the laser. Otherwise, it looks like you have bad drive.
Old 12-25-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

May be an IDE driver issue ...

For your burner to communicate properly with your mobo you have to have drivers that will work between the two devices. That means going to Abit (bh6 right?) and searching for any updated IDE drivers for your mobo and install them and see if that takes care of the problem.

Hope this works. That or any updated drivers for your Liteon. Good luck.
Old 12-26-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Liteon works wonderfully with my Asus CUSL2-C MB (hauls butt burning CD-Rs), and my problems with the Abit BH6 start the moment the PC is booted.

The only difference is that I'm using ATA66 IDE cable on the Asus MB, but on the Abit MB I'm using a standard IDE (for ATA33 devices).

I'm not really sure if new IDE drivers for the Abit would work (because the operating system doesn't even get loaded because it starts its imitation of bulemic female teen idols.
Old 12-26-01, 07:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
The only difference is that I'm using ATA66 IDE cable on the Asus MB, but on the Abit MB I'm using a standard IDE (for ATA33 devices).
Move the ATA66 cable along with the drive to the Abit board and see how it behaves. It's not an ATA66 device, is it? It just might be.
Old 12-27-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can't figure it out then ...

you may want to post this question over at the Anandtech.com Forums - either in General Hardware (because it gets more views) or in Tech Support and someone should help you out. Good luck.

I'm just thinking that there's something funny between your OS, mobo and your burner that during startup it thinks that it has to eject the drive mechanism but that your OS recognizes the drive itself. Well, that's obvious from your post.

Either or, it's a software issue or incompatibility. If the IDE driver update doesn't work or a new firmware update for your burner doesn't reconcile itself with win2k or if an update with win2k fails to do anything ... well, you're screwed.

Have you done a search for Liteon and win2k - problems? A deja search or an Anandtech search might shed some light.
Old 12-27-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
Move the ATA66 cable along with the drive to the Abit board and see how it behaves. It's not an ATA66 device, is it? It just might be.
Unfortunately, I'm at my parent's place, so that ATA66 cable is over 350 miles away. I would find it odd that CD burners would be an ATA66 device. I think it's probably my old Abit BH6 MB that's can't handle the Liteon drive. I'll mess around with the periphreral settings in the BIOS and see if that makes a difference.

Bill-n-opus, I'll do a search and see if there's some incompatibilities. I may wind up buying an ATA66 card for the burner drive.
Old 12-27-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it looks like a change in longitude helped because I popped in the offending Liteon CD burner into the PC with the Abit MB, and it acted normally, no vomiting. I am so relieved! I was able to set up the software installation so my dad can burn CD now. Thanks for all the pointers. I still don't know why things didn't work in Atlanta, but do in Mobile.