Reload this Page >

are these cpu temps OK?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

are these cpu temps OK?

Old 12-24-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are these cpu temps OK?

are these cpu temps ok? 49/50 under normal load.

I am not o/c'd at all. I have a volcano 5 HSF with arctic silver 2 paste. I am also using two 80mm case fans (front intake, rear exhaust) I'm using the asus a7v133c mobo and the 1.33Ghz tbird with axyjha (or whatever it is) stepping. I also have the radeon 8500 video card. Those temps are coming from motherboard monitor 5. I'm not sure how to test it under a full load as I don't have any benchmark software and I don't own Quake 3 Just seems to me like these are high temps to be running stock under a minimal load.... Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-24-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my case temperature is 35 and cpu is 47 - those are top figures as i've never seen it go higher but it will go down 1 once in a while... not overclocked using cooler/fan that came w/ my AMD 1700+ chip. i have a fan in front, fan from power supply blowing down on the chip. i didn't cover my empty pci slots.

i think you're ok.
Old 12-25-01, 04:34 PM

A couple things to check:
first check to see if any of your cables are blocking the airflow in your case.
You also might consider modding your case so the intake holes allow more air flow (this depends on which case you have).
My setup is an tbird 1.2 @ 1.4 with a volcano II and arctic silver, in a modded enlight 7237 case. my temps are 39 degrees under normal load, and 47 under full load in 3dmark 2001.
Hope this helps
Old 12-25-01, 04:42 PM

Those temps are within the acceptable operating range for AMD T-Birds. What does the BIOS report for temperatures? I've noticed that MBM tends to read a few degrees higher than what the BIOS reports.
Old 12-26-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BJS, my cables are not blocking any airflow at all. And those temps are the same with my case closed or open so I don't think airflow is an issue. My case temp itself is a cool 28 deg.

I did pull off the HSF and wiped it clean of arctic silver 2 paste (yeah I did that the first time too but left a thin layer on the cpu core itself [per the instructions]. The excess that I wiped from the HSF must have transferred from off of the cpu core itself). By cleaning that off the temp dropped 2-3 degrees to 47. After that cleaning while playing the Wolfenstein demo I noticed my cpu usage was at like 99% and my cpu temp was 54. Is that a "full" load? and at what temp should I begin to wonder/worry?

It's not like I'm stressed about a meltdown I just know that cooler is better. If anyone has any cooling suggestions, please post...

edit: the bios is reporting the same temps as mbm 5.

Last edited by Shuki; 12-26-01 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this burn-in:

http://pls.telenet.be/software/toast.zip

If your computer is still running and the temps are around 50C after about 5 minutes you are fine

My temps usually rise about 5-6C when running this testfor about 5 minutes!
Old 12-26-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the toast test

I climbed about a degree a minute. After 5 minutes I was at 54 by 6 minutes I was at 55. I suppose it would have kept climbing if I would have let the test continue to run?!?! What do ya think? any cooling ideas with the hardware I have?
Old 12-26-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, that is a great test. I run it for at least 10 minutes to make sure my system is stable when I try a new overclock setting.
As long as you are not continuously running it at 60C and above your fine, but I know your concern.

I had the Thermaltake Volcano 5 HSF and wasn't too pleased with it. My temps were a bit on the high side also(about 50C idle). I was also overclocking quite a bit(from 1GHz to 1.4GHz) and I too had only 1 intake in front and 1 exhaust in back.

To fix the problem I switched to a Thermalright SK-6 HSF with a 38CFM Delta fan and a Lian-Li PC-65 Aluminum case with a Enermax PS. My temps(still overclocked) are now down to 45C load when running TOAST for about 5 minutes.

Now I am not saying you should go spend $350 on a case/PS and a HSF, but I was considering a new case anyway

I would normally suggest AS2, but your already using it.

Try getting higher CFM fans, or adding fans for the intake and exhaust, that will keep cooler fresh air moving through the case better.

The heat from your video card may be rising up to the CPU and causing it to suck in hot air instead of cool air. Maybe try one of those PCI slot fans to exhaust heat from the PCI slot area.

Rounding my IDE cables improved airflow a bit. I just made a slit between every 4th cable and pulled them apart. Once they were all seperated I twisted it and taped them up with electrical tape.

I also cut the floppy cable in half, keeping the side that plugs into the floppy and the middle connection. I then rounded it like the IDE cables and connected the middle connector(now end connector) to the mobo. This made the cable about 10 inches shorter, taking up alot less space. If you use two floppy drives don't do this

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jumbojp
To fix the problem I switched to a Thermalright SK-6 HSF with a 38CFM Delta fan and a Lian-Li PC-65 Aluminum case with a Enermax PS.
Lian Li.... drrroooool.... *gathers himself and wipes the drool from his chin*

I've been dyin' for one of those or a Cooler Master ever since trigger introduced me to them. Too bad I just dropped like $600 on the new parts or I would definitely be getting a sweeter case. Hopefully this spring....

In the meantime I'll probably just hang tight as long as I can float around that 55c mark after the 5 min toast test. I'll just be gaming (RtCW, AvsP2) mostly and I don't think those will give me greater temps than that 5 minute burn Guess I'll see...
Old 12-26-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you are ready to buy here is the best price I have seen for the PC-60: (shipping is $13)

http://www.ncix.com/USA/productdetail.cfm?sku=6330

If not go here:
http://www.mpcparts.com/prodspecs/lian2.asp