Reload this Page >

Should I leave my computer on or off???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-24-01, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my computer on 24/7. I was wondering is it better to leave it on or off.

Someone told me that it's better on because if you turn it off and on the hard drive keeps kicking in and that wears it out. Also, that the monitor takes a while before it warms up.

So, I was wondering what do you guys think???
Old 12-24-01, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the age-old debate with most everyone picking one side of the fence to sit on and throw spit wads at each other.

This could turn into a huge ugly argument, but I think we're sophisticated enough here to be gentlemen (and ladies) about it.

Anyway - I tell people to turn them off.

The idea of leaving electronics on all the time came from the days of tube amplifiers and such which had elements that had to be heated in order for them to properly work. They had to "warm up" and then if you turned them off they would cool down - this expansion and contraction when the metal and other materials were heated and cooled caused stress fractures and such so the components would weaken and eventually fail. The heat in a computer using solid state electronics doesn't reach the type of heat found in those old tube amps so there isn't a need to worry about stress due to heating and cooling. It's just an old-school idea that carried on to computers. Most of the reasons given for leaving computers on are myths that have managed to circulate and linger. Things such as hard disc spin up and down is nonsense. There is absolutely no truth to the idea that turning a computer off and on will cause wear... The truth is if you leave it on all the time you will wear out components just as much as if you turn them on and off daily. These things fall under the category of normal wear and are anticipated when the components are created and tested. Hard Drives are designed to be both inside computers that are left on all the time as well as computers that are constantly being turned on and off. Same goes for all the other components. I tell people to turn them off because it will save them electricity. It also gives the OS a chance to reset itself and rid itself of any TSRs or programs that have taken some memory hostage or something... Allowing Windows to reset itself like that will keep it healthier. Half the time, sleep or suspend mode will cause lock ups depending on which version of windows you have.

Basically - it makes no difference - your computer will likely reach obsolescence long before a critical component fails and it doesn't matter whether you leave it on all the time or turn it off when not using it - do what makes you happy. Again- I only suggest turning it off to keep a healthy OS and to cut down on electricity cuz even in sleep mode your computer draws current.
Old 12-24-01, 06:01 AM

I typically keep mine on 24/7. I've had my current pc for 2 years now. I also keep my pc on at work.

In response to Trigger, a daily reboot cleans out junk in memory, so I do one daily.
Old 12-24-01, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your PC will last longer if you turn it off.

I leave mine on 24/7 due to use and lasting longer is not somthing I am worried about
Old 12-24-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep my computer on for a few days at a time, and every now and then I'll turn it off overnight...usually I'm just too lazy to turn it off.

I remember many years ago (about 9), a computer technician tried to explain to me why it was important to leave our family's computer (then a 486 DX2-50) on 24/7...something about keeping the system clock aligned...

...and for years that's what I went by.

Old 12-24-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

equal arguements both ways
some say its better to turn it off
some say its better to leave it on

Im in the, better to leave it on group.. besides, its more convenient

and as far as the memory issues.. that is only a problem if your running win9x..

I generally reboot my computer about once a month, just for the hell of it (not because its needed).. unless I make changes that require a reboot.
Old 12-24-01, 09:49 AM

Turn it off!

Or at least let it hibernate. If you are not going to be using it for at least a few hours, turn the stupid thing off. It is a simple waste of resources. More than likely, your computers components are going to last longer than you want them to no matter what you do.

C. Ryan
Old 12-24-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at home i turn it off; at work, on.
Old 12-24-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

stand by/hibernation modes are bad
too many bugs still with those modes

i set the monitor to turn off after 20 minutes.. and the harddrives to turn off after an hour..
no resources are being wasted

as I said before.. the arguements go both way..
you do much more hard on your computer starting and stopping it, then you do by leaving it running
but you get more wear on it, by leaving it running..
if you have the monitor off, and let the hard drives go off, then you are using practically no energy, so thats not the issues

noone is going to be able to be a convincing arguement one way or the other.. so no need to try..

everyone should chose the option that best suits their needs..

I leave mine on for convenience.. not to mention, even when Im not at it, it is almost always busy doing something *cough* downloading pron *cough*
Old 12-24-01, 02:10 PM

The computer components will almost never wear out being left on 24/7. They will also work fine and should last for years and years if you shut your computer off every night.

My personal preference is to turn my home computer off, just to save electricity. You can go ahead and call me cheap.

At work, the Macs and PCs alike stay on 365 days a year.

It comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-24-01, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I leave mine on almost every night. I download while I sleep. So mine is on almost 24/7 (off for a few hours on some days). I just turn off my monitor when I'm not at my computer
Old 12-24-01, 03:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Mine's been up for 13 days straight. I love Windows 2000! I built my current PC just over 2 years ago. It's been on nearly 24/7 since then(only take it down when I'll be gone for more than a day, and reboot when necessary). I run an FTP server on it, and sometimes I'm downloading through the night. I should be getting a new hard drive for Christmas, so my downloading will pick up again.
Old 12-24-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I normally turn it off overnight. When I turn it on, I leave it on until I think I am done with it for the day. (Occasionally, it gets left on overnight for long download.

I also have staggered screensaver, monitor, off and hard drive off settings. After about an hour of idle time, it is pretty asleep.
Old 12-25-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite simple, if you don't use it turn it off. Turn it on when you need the computer. Of course use some common sense here, if you have the PC on and go to lunch or something for half an hour, you might as well keep it on.

The CRT monitors work the best when it's warm up, that why I never put the monitor into sleeping mode. The gamma is more accurate.

If you keep your PC on 24/7, you should power it off once in a while to make sure the PC can still bootup. We do a powerdown maintainence 1-2 a year in my company. Suprisely, you will get a server where it will not bootup cuz of a hard drive failure or a bad motherboard.
Old 12-25-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At work we leave them on all the time and many of them have been on most of the time for five years or more.

However, I turn mine off at home to save electricity more than anything. Now that I have Windows 2000 hibernation/standby mode works great so I use it all the time. Not sure if there will be much of a difference in life cycle either way, but turning off something you are not using always makes sense to me.
Old 12-25-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by zuffy

If you keep your PC on 24/7, you should power it off once in a while to make sure the PC can still bootup. We do a powerdown maintainence 1-2 a year in my company. Suprisely, you will get a server where it will not bootup cuz of a hard drive failure or a bad motherboard.
but if its up and running correctly.. do you really want to know that it wont boot?
Old 12-25-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

but if its up and running correctly.. do you really want to know that it wont boot?
If it was up to me, I don't want to know
Old 12-25-01, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I think I'll leave it on most of the time and once in a long while I'll shut it off to let it rest then. Thanks everyone!