Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Scrathing my head with this one; windows ME just Installed and...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-23-01, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed windows ME on My newest computer and it requires that the windows ME cd is in the CD drive every time it boots up. Whats up with that? I have never seen this before. Is this a bios thing or a windows thing? What can I do to fix it?
Old 12-23-01, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When installing Win9x OSes, I will typically make a directory on a newly formatted HD called Win98 or Win95 and then copy the files from the corresponding directory from the CD. I don't know if this will work for ME, but up until ME, all the install files were contained in that one folder and all the other stuff on the CD was more or less useless. Anyway - after you copy those files, run setup from the HD and you shouldn't have that problem and you won't have to stick the disc in when you install new components or "features" of windows in the future. That may or may not work for ME - I don't have much experience installing it because I try to make all my customers avoid buying it and if they get a PC with it pre-installed, I've just used the restore disc to reinstall in most cases. Hope that's helpful in some way.

Another possiblilty is that windows setup is still trying to install something - try looking at msconfig to see what's loading at startup to see if it's trying to load something from the CD.

Another possibility is that the Hard Disc wasn't set up to be bootable so it uses the booting instructions off the CD and then loads from the installed Windows on the Hard Drive - Try doing an FDisk and then formatting again before installing.
Old 12-23-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lol, I figured it out. Ran Fdisk and formatted, but forgot to add the boot record. Apparently windows ME is a bootable disk, and that was why I needed it.
Old 12-23-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best bet would be to throw that piece of $hit software in the trash and stay with 98SE, W2K, or XP. ME was the worst UPGRADE MS ever did. Can you say BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TheKobra
Best bet would be to throw that piece of $hit software in the trash and stay with 98SE, W2K, or XP. ME was the worst UPGRADE MS ever did. Can you say BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue screen of breath...red screen of death...new screen of death...

Nope, I can't say it.
Old 12-24-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheKobra
Actually, other than the few bugs I found, WinME is serving my Pc nicely...I think.
Old 12-24-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I don't know what you're talking about - ME is just as buggy as 98SE, 95, and XP (which is hella buggy despite what others may say).
Old 12-24-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had Win ME for 2 weeks. The computer failed to turn on, run and turn off correctly once in two weeks. I reformatted and loaded 98se and it's run fine since.
Old 12-24-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i installed winME on my new computer thinking i'd use it... i use it winME at work but my computer came w/ it pre-installed and i just do a daily reboot. at home, i had a hard time trying to get it working just right.

i installed win2K (dual-boot) and it worked great! so i formatted everything and installed win2K only (NTFS too). except for a few games that won't work, its great. waiting to get a copy of XP.
Old 12-26-01, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, I'm using ME because I seem to have inscribed the wrong CD key on my windows 98se disk. So rather than starting with win 3.1 and installing every upgrade CD up to win98se, I just put ME on. But if you really care that much, you can give me a CD of another windows complete with CD key
Old 12-26-01, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ME was the worst UPGRADE MS ever did. Can you say BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Works great on three machines it is installed on in this property.

RD