Reload this Page >

Memory question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Memory question

Old 12-22-01, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memory question

I'm buying some more memory for one of my old systems here. It uses 72 pin EDO ram. I've found memory labeled both 16x32 and 16x4, price is basically the same, for 64 meg sticks. I can't remember what those numbers apply to, what is the difference? FWIW, this is a Asus board with the Intel HX chipset (socket 7, pentium MMX)

Dave
Old 12-22-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For lack of a better way to explain it, it is the number of chips and the density of each chip. It defines the simm architecture.

(16*32)/8 = 64mb for a non parity

(16*4)/8 = 8mb for non parity **

I doubt an HX would understand a 64mb simm anyway, I have seen TX chipsets that would not. Back in the HX days, even 32mb simms were rare.

** I would also double check that the 16X4 is really a 64mb individual simm and not a 64mb KIT (kit=several simms) cause the numbers aren't work'in as you can see above.

and how much are you paying, just curious?
Old 12-22-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

about $8 per simm, so $32+ shipping for 256MB. I remember checking a while back, and 72pin EDO was very pricey, I'm not sure when the prices came down this much, but I won't complain. The asus web site says it can handle 64meg chips, so hopefully it will work. Wasn't the HX chipset a step above the TX? When I built that system, it was the best at the time chipset wise.

Dave
Old 12-22-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a good price. I thought it was much higher.

If ASUS says it will work, then it will.

I am pretty sure the TX came after the HX in the intel timeline of released chipsets. Not sure if one is really "better" than the other, just newer. In this case it is the MB BIOS that determines the level of simm, not the chipset.
Old 12-22-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured the price is low enough, if it doesn't work, I'll send em back or ebay them. If it works, I can get away from using NT4 on this box, and put win2k on there, just for grins.

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG
That is a good price. I thought it was much higher.

If ASUS says it will work, then it will.

I am pretty sure the TX came after the HX in the intel timeline of released chipsets. Not sure if one is really "better" than the other, just newer. In this case it is the MB BIOS that determines the level of simm, not the chipset.
Old 12-23-01, 12:46 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just noticed this week that old EDO RAM really dropped in price. Makes some "obsolete" equipment not so obsolete.
Old 12-23-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, this is a old p166, that is now going to be a home to videos and mp3s. I put a 40 gig drive in it a couple of weeks ago, and will probably put another one in there soon. I'm starting to notice I use entirely to much disk space.

Dave
Originally posted by X
I just noticed this week that old EDO RAM really dropped in price. Makes some "obsolete" equipment not so obsolete.
Old 12-23-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
I'm starting to notice I use entirely to much disk space.

Care to send some of that pr0n this way?

Spoiler:
But I don't want the kiddie stuff

I have about 1000 cds burned off with various things at this point, about a dozen 2G jazz cartridges and over 100Gs of online hard drive space that is getting full.

I just picked up another 36 scsi to drop in, not sure how long that will last High speed internet access 24/7 is a dangerous thing,
Old 12-23-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, you have too much stuff. I'm sure you have a better collection of pr0n that I do. I've been adding about 6-8 gigs a month of various stuff, that eats up drive space so quick. The stupid part is, I probably don't even use most of it. I think I need an intervention.

Dave

Spoiler:

I have about 1000 cds burned off with various things at this point, about a dozen 2G jazz cartridges and over 100Gs of online hard drive space that is getting full.

I just picked up another 36 scsi to drop in, not sure how long that will last High speed internet access 24/7 is a dangerous thing,
Old 12-23-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:

When I get the 8mbs ADSL this comin Feb would you help me to rival your Pron collection