Reload this Page >

Digital Camera Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital Camera Question

Old 12-21-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Camera Question

I just bought a new digital camera for my XMAS gift to myself.

I bought a Minolta DiMage S304 3.34 megapixel camera.

It comes with a 16MB CompactFlash card...

Is there a limit to the size of card I can buy? Or can I just buy one of the big ones?
Old 12-21-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you'd better hope so!! 3.3 megapixel in fine mode will take about 10 pictures on that 16 meg card.

lemme see what i can dig up....

your camera takes compact flash (type 1 only). i can't find specifically how large of one you can buy, but i think the type 1's cap out around 256 megs.

i got a 128 meg for like 50 bucks from newegg.com.

have fun!!

cranky.
Old 12-21-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks cranky.

I bought my camera at photoalley, and they gave me a $50 GC for spending $400 or more. So, I'm wanting to get the biggest one I can afford
Old 12-22-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CompactFlash has the controller on board, so the upper size limit is not determined by the camera, but rather by the largest available CF card at the time. (SmartMedia cards rely on an on-camera controller, which means the camera limits the maximum capacity.)

If you want a large card without the hastle of rebates, try this site:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/compactflash.html

They have a 320mb card available for $132. This is probably one of the better deals available now. You can get 512mb cards, however the extra cost is not justifiable (at least to me).
Old 12-22-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pantala
CompactFlash has the controller on board, so the upper size limit is not determined by the camera, but rather by the largest available CF card at the time. (SmartMedia cards rely on an on-camera controller, which means the camera limits the maximum capacity.)

If you want a large card without the hastle of rebates, try this site:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/compactflash.html

They have a 320mb card available for $132. This is probably one of the better deals available now. You can get 512mb cards, however the extra cost is not justifiable (at least to me).
Thanks! But the $50 GC was a gift from PhotoAlley and I'm definately going to use it up.
Old 12-22-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, photographers, what is the better thing to do? Get 2 smaller cards or 1 big card?
Old 12-22-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, 1 big one is less to carry around. but if for some reason it fails, you're out of film.

how about getting 2 big ones?

cranky.
Old 12-22-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by crankyman

how about getting 2 big ones?

cranky.
Must resist...other jokes...in PC Forum....

Anyway, as of right now, I have 2 16MB cards, and I think I'm going to order 2 64MB cards, just in case something would happen to one of them. Or maybe I'll get a 128....

So many choices
Old 12-22-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball
So, photographers, what is the better thing to do? Get 2 smaller cards or 1 big card?
Depends. If you take your camera for a long vacation and you plan buy a device like a Digital Wallet then 2 cards is better than 1. Upload the pics into the Digital Wallet and you'll have another one ready to start snapping pics instead of waiting. Otherwise, 1 large card is better IMO.
Old 12-22-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Thunderball
Anyway, as of right now, I have 2 16MB cards, and I think I'm going to order 2 64MB cards, just in case something would happen to one of them. Or maybe I'll get a 128....

So many choices
I've got a 128 card for my S110 and absolutely love it - the only problem is when you get a lot of pictures on it (I currently have 200+ - time to do some clean-up), it takes longer to turn the camera on or to browse the pictures because it has to find the end...perhaps a smaller card could eliminate some of that time - although the time is very little...

I'm getting a Powershot G2 sometime next year probably (unless they come out with a better one before then for a similar price) and I would like to get a 256MB card (or 320 thanks to that link provided above - great prices)...it's just easier to keep everything on one card and not having to worry about carrying yet another piece of equipment around.
Old 12-22-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding 2 vs 1 card, you have to ask yourself whether you will mind carrying an additional card around and if you will be in situations where it will be difficult or impossible to switch cards during a shoot.

Although the debate will never end, most professionals will tell you that they carry two smaller cards instead of one large one. It is too risky to trust all your pictures to one card.. if it fails, you're dead. For the amature point & shoot photographer, it is easier to carry one large card usually.

I use a large camera bag anyways to carry lenses and my speedlight, so having extra cards isn't a problem for me. My bag has one 128mb card, one 256mb card, and one 340mb microdrive.
Old 12-23-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

pantala
Thanks for the advice. I really dont think my camera is too accessorizable(is that evern a word?), so I wn't have to worry about lenses and speedligh(?).

Here's what I decided to do. I have two 16MB cards already, I'll use those for home stuff. I ordered a 64MB card off eBay and another 64 MB card from photoalley. Grand total of $30.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice