Reload this Page >

Help - "Failure to Read C Drive"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-21-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, my friend needs help with her computer. She told me that when she tries to boot up, she gets a message saying, "Failure to Read C Drive" and it gives her the options to Abort, Retry, Ignore or Fail. She said that she already tried Abort and Retry but all that does is shut it down. She wants to know what to do before she risks messing up her computer even more. She has a report that she needs to finish, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Btw, she's running Windows 98.
Old 12-21-01, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
She could try booting off a Win98 setup or boot floppy and doing "fdisk /mbr" to see if she can repair her boot sector. But that could cause trouble unless she really needs to do it.

First she should see if she can get to the C drive after booting with the floppy just to see if it's readable at all. If so, she might try doing a "sys c:" from the boot floppy.

If she has no luck reading the C drive at all, you need to open up the case and make sure the power and ide cables are connected properly.
Old 12-21-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply, X. I'll tell her what you said and hopefully things will work out OK. Actually, she thinks that somebody might have sent her some type of virus. Just recently, someone contacted her through IM saying that someone had paid him to mess up her computer. This guy kept on kicking her off AIM repeatedly with a program he had (which frustrated her so much) and also mentioned that he was paid to send her a virus. She never DLed or opened anything from him, but it's just a little weird and coincidental that this should happen a couple days after that a-hole IMed her.