Reload this Page >

AMD 1x00+ cpu cooling fan rec needed

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-01-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am considering the 1800+, 1700+, 1600+ AMD XP chip and i thought i was going to get a retail version (heat sink included) but sharky extreme's article recommends an oem w/ separate heatsink/fan.

anyone have a good recommendation?
Old 12-01-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coolermaster or thermaltake for about 10 bucks give or take a few is a good idea. The generic heatsink/fan they throw in with retail athlons are garbage - I've had one go out on me and it's not pleasant. Don't forget to buy Arctic Silver thermal paste and also don't forget to scrape and clean off the grease that comes with the HS/F.
Old 12-01-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is my experience:

I have a 1.0Ghz T-Bird overclocked to 1.4Ghz. I was using a Thermaltake Volcano 5 HSF and switched to a Thermalright SK-6 HSF and my temp went down 8-9 degrees Celsius

I would recommend the SK-6 because it is all copper and you can use any 60-80 RPM fan you want with it, but it is rather expensive for a HSF(about $30 without a fan)!
Old 12-02-01, 10:31 AM

The reccomendation depends on wheter or not you'll overclock the cpu.

If not, then just about any cooler will work. Buy some generic thermal paste at radio shack for about $3 and a a decent cooler for about $10 and you'll be fine.

For a little more money you could buy a better heatsink/fan which you could overclock your cpu. Even if you don't overclock your cpu it'll run cooler.

Right now you can pick up a Millenium Glaciator (one of the highest rated coolers on the market) for $20+ shipping. This price includes some artic silver (usually $6-10 seperately).

It's being updated to a newer model, but for only $20 it's a steal.

www.millennium-thermal.com/start.htm

Check out www.overclockers.com for some heatsink reviews.
Old 12-02-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: AMD 1x00+ cpu cooling fan rec needed

Originally posted by young
i am considering the 1800+, 1700+, 1600+ AMD XP chip and i thought i was going to get a retail version (heat sink included) but sharky extreme's article recommends an oem w/ separate heatsink/fan.

anyone have a good recommendation?
the retail HS/Fan that comes with the XP processor is nicer than the old one that came with the regular athlon. If you are going to overclock then get an OEM and a better HS/Fan. if not go for the longer warranty and the retail fan.

I just built an XP system for a friend and it works fine for non overclocked systems. In fact I bet for minor overclocking(10% or less) it might do fine also. My athlon is overclocked from 1.2 to 1.33 Ghz with a reail HS/Fan with no problems.

Last edited by gcribbs; 12-02-01 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-03-01, 10:27 PM
Cool New Member

whats the average temp. for an amd cpu to run at?
Old 12-03-01, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There really is no "average" temp, it all depends on cooling and what you are doing. Playing a game will put a bigger load on the CPU, thus making it run hotter, then just surfing around the net. The cooler the better though!

To check "load" temps I like to run a "burn in" test. If you want a small "burn in" test that will stress the CPU so you can see the load temp try this one:

http://pls.telenet.be/software/toast.zip

After running that for 5 minutes you are under 50 degrees you should be fine, but try to get it as low as possible.

Disclaimer

***You don't necessarily need to run this test, so therefore I am not liable for any damge caused to your system or CPU. If your system is unstable it is likely to crash with this program!***
Old 12-04-01, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

That was a pretty good test jumbojp. After 5 mins my cpu jumped from 40-47 degrees C. Took about 6 1/2 mins to get to 50 degrees C.