Reload this Page >

I Need Laptop Help Immed.!!!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-19-01, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, My girlfriend has a Compaq Presario 1685 and place where the power cord is plugged into the computer is completely broken. Her battery is dead and now we have no way to power up the computer. She is a law student and NEEDS files on their ASAP. Can anyone help me with suggestions? I have been trying to find a compatible battery that is charged already, but am having NO luck. Help!!! Please!
Old 11-19-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the laptop cannot be plugged into the wall, and the battery is dead you only have a few options.

1. If she had access to a docking station, the dock should be able to provide power to the unit through the dock port.

2. Find someone with the same laptop or someone that has a laptop that takes the SAME EXACT BATTERY (don't do this if it's close because you could do damage to the other laptop) and swap batteries, or charge your battery in their laptop.

3. Get a laptop of the same model and put her HD into it and retrieve the data.

4. Send the drive out for data recovery. (this is the most expensive method since they charge several thousand dollars to do this, and it takes several weeks.)

Sorry, that's all I can come up with. This thread will prob get a better response in the Hardware forum.
Old 11-19-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you want a girl to sit on your laptop, You'd better be buying her jewelry or something.

This wiseass post brought to you by the Otter Farm. Thank you.
Old 11-19-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I Need Laptop Help Immed.!!!!!

Check around local stores that sell that model (or one that uses the same battery, as mentioned above). Take it to them, have them put in another battery, copy needed files to CD or zip drive, then get the thing fixed.

Dave
Originally posted by jonny#5
Ok, My girlfriend has a Compaq Presario 1685 and place where the power cord is plugged into the computer is completely broken. Her battery is dead and now we have no way to power up the computer. She is a law student and NEEDS files on their ASAP. Can anyone help me with suggestions? I have been trying to find a compatible battery that is charged already, but am having NO luck. Help!!! Please!
Old 11-19-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does "completely broken" mean? Is there any way to jury rig it with wire & electrical tape? If not, heed Dave's advice.
Old 11-19-01, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
What does "completely broken" mean? Is there any way to jury rig it with wire & electrical tape? If not, heed Dave's advice.
I worked for Compaq for a while, and this is a common problem. The port where the adapter plugs in will come loose or break, and unfortunately this port is on the motherboard so to fix you will need to replace the mobo. If you have any skills with soldering you may be able to fix it on your own.
Old 11-19-01, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by johnglass

I worked for Compaq for a while, and this is a common problem. The port where the adapter plugs in will come loose or break, and unfortunately this port is on the motherboard so to fix you will need to replace the mobo. If you have any skills with soldering you may be able to fix it on your own.
John, she brought it to CompUSA and they want $1100 to fix the mobo, obv we arent paying this. how much should a new mobo cost? Suggestions? Send to CPQ?
Old 11-19-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a follow up, if you can't find anything local, then look for one of these:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108

It will let you hook up the laptop hard drive to a regular PC, and then you can just copy the info to the drive in the desktop. You might check around local stores for that also, I'm not sure if someplace like CompUSA would carry that.

Dave
Old 11-19-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Laptops aren't cheap to fix. Unless there is still a warranty, it is almost always cheaper & better (you get a newer machine with a new warranty) to just replace it. You can get new laptops for under 1000 now.

Dave

John, she brought it to CompUSA and they want $1100 to fix the mobo, obv we arent paying this. how much should a new mobo cost? Suggestions? Send to CPQ?
Old 11-19-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously the mobo isn't worth $1100 to fix, as you can likely get a new laptop for less. Compaq doesn't actually fix out-of-warranty computers, but will refer you to a "Compaq Authorized Repair Center", ie CompUSA. Your best bet would be to take it to see if you can find someone who knows how to solder and, if the AC adapter port is not actually missing but just broken, can have it resoldered to the mobo.

If the laptop is out of warranty, which I assume it is, you may be able to call Compaq and bitch enough to get them to repair it as "extra mile" service. This isn't done too often, but when I left Compaq about two years ago they were repairing everything- no matter when the warranty expired, just because they were getting so much negative feedback. The problem with the AC port breaking is very common, so they might be lenient with you. Can't hurt to try, but be nice!
Old 11-19-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dave99
As a follow up, if you can't find anything local, then look for one of these:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108

Dave
Ive got one of these here at work.. great device

also.. if your just looking to rescue the info.. you can pull that harddrive out of that system.. and put it in basically any other laptop you want.. of course the operating system will have some problems coming up, but that can be fixed easily enough, and it gives you another option.. pretty much all laptops use the exact same harddrives, they just have different sleds they put them in.

your best bet is to try and borrow another battery..
or get the device listed above..

just tossing some more options around though...
Old 11-19-01, 12:57 PM
Banned

You can use that device even if you cannot power up your laptop? Im confused!
Old 11-19-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jonny#5

I have seen this beofre too (one reason I will not pourchase Presarios )

Usualy the power jack just splits in half and moves backwards as you push the cord in. If you are careful and patient you can slowly wiggle it into position and get the battery to charge (you will see the battery charge light come on) LEAVE IT SIT until the battery is charged, then get your files off.

Other than that it depends on your electonic skills. There are several ways to get power to it, but they all require some skill (and a disclaimer)
Old 11-19-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

jonny, yes you can. You actually take the drive out of the laptop and install it in your desktop pc, just like any other hard drive. You then just copy the files you need over to the hard drive of the desktop computer.

Dave
You can use that device even if you cannot power up your laptop? Im confused!