Reload this Page >

Motherboard Problems: ECS K7S5A

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-11-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of trying to build a PC, using the ECS K7S5A motherboard along with an Athlon XP 1600.

I'm using an ATI AIW Radeon (AGP), Crucial DDR Ram, and a Maxtor 40 GB HD. After getting everything connected and turning the power on, the monitor just says "Check Signal" and then turns to black. Any ideas? I've tested the Video Card on another PC, so it works. I also tried clearing the CMOS on the motherboard via the jumpers, but that didn't do anything. Is the motherboard bad? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon Lord
Old 11-11-01, 06:42 PM

He he. If you have not checked out this forum, give it a look-see.

http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi...start_point=50

They have more information then you will want to read. This board IS a problem board. But it is cheap and possibly worth the trouble. I built my parents a PC with this and had NO problems. I am even considering b\getting another one for myself. Glutton for punishment maybe.

Anyway, they have about 200 pages of forum postings dedicated to the problems with it. Read through them and read the several FAQ's they have now. See what revision you have and decide what your problem is. Many think that it is a resitor problem on the board. Some are soldering in a new one. You may need a better power supply.

What number do you have next to the PCI slots on the board (0-4)? could be a sticker or something. Also, did you board have a sticker that said Athlon XP compatible. What vender did you purchase it from and when?

C. Ryan
Old 11-11-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you apply power to the power supply, does the fan spin up for a while and then turn off?

When you hit the power switch on the case, do the other fans in the case spin up? How about the hard drive?

Do you have the speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, do you hear any beep codes?
Old 11-11-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CRyan
He he. If you have not checked out this forum, give it a look-see.

http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi...start_point=50

They have more information then you will want to read. This board IS a problem board. But it is cheap and possibly worth the trouble. I built my parents a PC with this and had NO problems. I am even considering b\getting another one for myself. Glutton for punishment maybe.

Anyway, they have about 200 pages of forum postings dedicated to the problems with it. Read through them and read the several FAQ's they have now. See what revision you have and decide what your problem is. Many think that it is a resitor problem on the board. Some are soldering in a new one. You may need a better power supply.

What number do you have next to the PCI slots on the board (0-4)? could be a sticker or something. Also, did you board have a sticker that said Athlon XP compatible. What vender did you purchase it from and when?

C. Ryan
I have read a few of the threads over on that forum, but I haven't really found too much that I can apply to my situation. Next to the PCI slots there is a little white sticker that has the number 5 on it. I don't see any XP compatible sticker, although next to were the processor is on two sides there are little white stickers that say "XP". I purchased it from Newegg about a week ago.

Regards,
Jon Lord
Old 11-11-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by belboz
When you apply power to the power supply, does the fan spin up for a while and then turn off?

When you hit the power switch on the case, do the other fans in the case spin up? How about the hard drive?

Do you have the speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, do you hear any beep codes?
When turning the power supply on the fan spins, but it nevers seems to shut off. Both the fan along with the CPU fan both are working fine. I'm not sure if the hard drive is doing anything, but supposedly the PC should still boot if there is no hard drive attached. I'll try hooking up the Hard drive to another PC to make sure it is working properly. I have a case speaker connected to the motherboard, but no beep codes occur.

Thanks again,
Jon Lord
Old 11-12-01, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

do you have another video card? maybe you got a bad one. It happens every now and then.

I doubt it is the hard drive since even without one it should boot past the bios and show video of the bios boot screen.

if the fans are running then i am going to assume the cpu and all are hooked up right. check all your connections for the video card and monitor. maybe the agp port is bad?
Old 11-12-01, 01:29 AM

The 5 means Revision 5. Look at the forum regarding your board. Also, the XP means XP compatible. AMD recently selected this board as an XP compatibile board. Many are questioning what AMD was thinking. Anyway, the 1600 is a 1.4Ghz chip and 1.4GHZ is the speed giving this board the MOST problems - hands down.

Here is one thing though. Make sure the Video card is pressed in FIRMLY. These suckers are tight and many will recommend placing the card before putting it in the case. This is what I had to do to get it seated correctly and fully.

Did you flex the board much when placing the CPU fan?

Your HD is not the problem. However, it is not a bad idea to take everything out except for the the video card and see if you get to post. You either have a bad board or your video card is not seated properly. Would not hurt to make sure the pins on the monitor cable are all straight as well - just to make sure.

Usually, people do at least get this board to post - problems get much bigger later. If any of these ideas do not fix your problem, RMA it and get a replacement. Just a bad board.

ryan
Old 11-12-01, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to check out ...

www.anandtech.com Forums for any possible solutions to your problem. If you need an answer ... that's the place to go.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-01, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the motherboard.

If your fans and HD are spinning up, then the PSU probably isn't the culprit (it is certified for use with Athlons right?). If you have a box that you can test the CPU and DIMMs in, that would be the next step. If not, then I'd probably just RMA the motherboard and try a new one. The chances of getting a bad part from AMD or Crucial is probably a lot lower than ECS.
Old 11-12-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
do you have another video card? maybe you got a bad one. It happens every now and then.

I doubt it is the hard drive since even without one it should boot past the bios and show video of the bios boot screen.

if the fans are running then i am going to assume the cpu and all are hooked up right. check all your connections for the video card and monitor. maybe the agp port is bad?
gcribbs: I tested the video card in another PC, so I know it works. It could be the AGP slot I suppose or just the board in general. I'm assuming the CPU to work and it should be hooked up, so it has got to be the board. Hopefully at least. I tried SDRam in the board that I took out a machine that currently works and still nothing, so the only 2 possiblities are the CPU or the motherboard.

Thanks for your input

Originally posted by CRyan
The 5 means Revision 5. Look at the forum regarding your board. Also, the XP means XP compatible. AMD recently selected this board as an XP compatibile board. Many are questioning what AMD was thinking. Anyway, the 1600 is a 1.4Ghz chip and 1.4GHZ is the speed giving this board the MOST problems - hands down.

Here is one thing though. Make sure the Video card is pressed in FIRMLY. These suckers are tight and many will recommend placing the card before putting it in the case. This is what I had to do to get it seated correctly and fully.

Did you flex the board much when placing the CPU fan?

Your HD is not the problem. However, it is not a bad idea to take everything out except for the the video card and see if you get to post. You either have a bad board or your video card is not seated properly. Would not hurt to make sure the pins on the monitor cable are all straight as well - just to make sure.

Usually, people do at least get this board to post - problems get much bigger later. If any of these ideas do not fix your problem, RMA it and get a replacement. Just a bad board.

ryan
I reseated the video card a couple times and it is in firmly. I didn't run into any problems installing an of the components, so the board shouldn't have been damaged by me. The monitor is working in the other PC that used to use it, so that shouldn't be the case. I might try to call ECS and see what they have to say. If I RMA it to Newegg should I go with a different board entirely?

Thanks again,
Jon Lord
Old 11-12-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
www.anandtech.com Forums for any possible solutions to your problem. If you need an answer ... that's the place to go.

Good luck.
I looked around there, but I couldn't find any information. I posted a thread there as well and tried everything they recommended, but still nothing. Thanks for the tip though.

Originally posted by belboz
Yeah, I'm guessing it's the motherboard.

If your fans and HD are spinning up, then the PSU probably isn't the culprit (it is certified for use with Athlons right?). If you have a box that you can test the CPU and DIMMs in, that would be the next step. If not, then I'd probably just RMA the motherboard and try a new one. The chances of getting a bad part from AMD or Crucial is probably a lot lower than ECS.
The MB is certified for XP's so it shouldn't be a compatiblity issue. It isn't the memory since I swapped it out. I'll try Tech Support at ECS and see if they have anything to say, if not I'll RMA the board back to Newegg and probably try something else.

Any recommendations on another board for this setup?

Thanks again,
Jon Lord
Old 11-12-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jon Lord

I looked around there, but I couldn't find any information. I posted a thread there as well and tried everything they recommended, but still nothing. Thanks for the tip though.

The MB is certified for XP's so it shouldn't be a compatiblity issue. It isn't the memory since I swapped it out. I'll try Tech Support at ECS and see if they have anything to say, if not I'll RMA the board back to Newegg and probably try something else.

Any recommendations on another board for this setup?

Thanks again,
Jon Lord
well, you could try another ECS MB and see. maybe you just got a dog. You could try the ASUS A7M266- it is an AMD 761 chipset. more stable than many but not as fast.
Old 11-12-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

well, you could try another ECS MB and see. maybe you just got a dog. You could try the ASUS A7M266- it is an AMD 761 chipset. more stable than many but not as fast.
I think I'll just stay away from the ECS to avoid an further problems. I might consider that ASUS, but pricewise it is quite a bit more. Any thoughts on this Epox:
EPOX EP-8KHA VIA Apollo KT266 (VT8366) 200/266 MHz Motherboard - For AMD & AMD XP Athlon and Duron Socket A.Accepts DDRAM, 3 DDR Slot,1X / 2X / 4X AGP FSB,1 AGP Slot,6 PCI Slot. Support ATA 33/66/100, 2 USB, Ver 1.3, with Sound,

It was originally one of my choices, before I decided to try the ECS?

Thanks again gcribbs,
Jon Lord

Last edited by Jon Lord; 11-12-01 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-12-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I'll just stay away from the ECS to avoid an further problems. I might consider that ASUS, but pricewise it is quite a bit more. Any thoughts on this Epox:
EPOX EP-8KHA VIA Apollo KT266 (VT8366) 200/266 MHz Motherboard - For AMD & AMD XP Athlon and Duron Socket A.Accepts DDRAM, 3 DDR Slot,1X / 2X / 4X AGP FSB,1 AGP Slot,6 PCI Slot. Support ATA 33/66/100, 2 USB, Ver 1.3, with Sound,

Thanks again gcribbs,
Jon Lord
I tried Epox once and wasn't particularly impressed. Like I mentioned in your thread that spec'ed out this system, I like Asus and MSI. Between the two of them, I'm always able to get a product that fits my needs and they've never disappointed me.

The KT266A is probably a pretty good choice. It benchmarks well and being the second rev. of a very mature chipset one would expect it to be pretty solid.
Old 11-12-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, you posted what I wanted to post, but hadn't had a chance to yet.

I'm trying to build almost the entirely same setup and have the exact same results.

ECD K7S5A Motherboard
Athlon XP 1600+ Retail CPU w/heatsink & fan
2 X 256mb Crucial DDR 2100 Registered
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 32mb AGP
Maxtor 20mb 7200rpm HD
Enlight Mid-Tower case with (AMD approved) 340w PS

Hook it up. Power it up. CPU & case fan run, some lights on the floppy & HD, but the computer does not post (no beeps of any sort) and the monitor is stuck on the "check signal" screen. I tried my older video card with the same result.

I don't have anything else to check the CPU or the RAM.
I've been busy the past few days since trying to build this, so haven't gotten to mess with it a whole lot.

I knew I was possibly taking a gamble with this board, but it seemed to offer what I was looking for at an attractive price. And I was reading as many successes as failures with this board and thought I'd roll the dice. I thought I would win. I usually at least break even in Vegas, so I thought I might have a similar fate with this!

My board and CPU were bought at NewEgg.

As for stickers on the MB, there is an "XP" by the CPU and in the corner there is a "5" and a "v3.1".

Hmm...I just read a post over at OCWorkbench the ECC ram won't work in the board (and that's what I have...dammit). I guess I'd better try it with some SDRAM instead.
Old 11-12-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just figured out my problem.
I had splurged and bought the Registered RAM from Crucial. It's ECC and this board apparently won't work with ECC RAM. I guess that's what I get for trying to get "good" RAM. I slapped in an old PC100 RAM and it posted and I was able to get into the BIOS. YEAH!!!

Jon, what kind of RAM are you using? Is it ECC?
Old 11-13-01, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again gcribbs,
Jon Lord
if you bought your cpu from them they have a deal on the A7M266 for 20 dollars off when you buy a cpu with it. this knocked the price of this Mb down to a better level so i bought it for a friend i am building a comuter for.

I trust ASUS- they have been very dependable. I have heard good and bad about Epox.
Old 11-13-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

guys.....i have this board and did quite a bit of reading up on it before purchasing it.

even though your cards are testing good in other machines, there have been a rash of folks having to remove and reseat their agp cards to make them fit properly.

also, do you have a pci video card to try? from what i understand, sometimes you have to boot with a pci card first and then can put the agp in.

umm...what else.....you aren't mixing ram or anything like that are you? you can't combine ddr and sdram together.

i have to say, most of the time, i use abit boards and have had 0 problems with them. i've purchased one asus (a cubx) and had nothing but problems with it. i know that's not indicative of the entire lineup...just my circumstances.

so far, i love this ecs board. it's *very* quick with my 1.4 t-bird and has been rock solid stable. the built in lan is a nice touch....and ya gotta love 2100 ddr ram. the only modification that i performed was to pencil in the l7 bridge on the cpu to bump it to 1.85 volts, as the 1.4 t-bird is a power hungry processor.

in any case, i hope you get a stable system going soon, it sure is a p.i.a. to have a flaky computer.

cranky.
Old 11-13-01, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oops. another stupid question. what bios level are you running?

bioses older than 24/10/01 won't see the xp processor.

you might try upgrading it

cranky.
Old 11-13-01, 03:14 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM JON

There is nothing wrong with the motherboard!!

I have this motherboard and had the same problems! I found out that since I hadn't placed any kind of non-conductive washers in between the motherboard and the screws holding the board to the case, when I turned on the computer the board would short out b/c the screws would be coming into contact with some of the traces on the motherboard and shorting it out, causing it not to start.

After taking out the board (and going nutso for 2 days trying to figure out what the f*c* was wrong), and placing the non-conductive washers over the screws, the board booted up with no problems. I've been running my ECS system for several weeks now with 0 problems. Runs like a charm. Has not crashed once.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't already RMA'd it back to NewEgg. It's a great board and really shouldn't have any problems... except for "Operator Error"

-BT
Old 11-13-01, 10:41 PM

Huh. Like I said before, I used the board with my parents setup and ahd no problems.

However, people are having a ton of problems with this board. TONS. Check out the link I provided above. Cold boot problems, ACPI problems, file corruption problems etc.

C. Ryan
Old 11-13-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys thanks for all the replies, I'm don't have a chance to look at it right now, but I'll look over your suggestions and see if I can get it working.

Thanks again,
Jon Lord
Old 11-14-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It appears somehow the processor wasn't properly seated in the correct pins, so I finally got it up and running.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate the information. Hopefully I won't have any other problems other than operator error

-- Jon Lord
Old 11-15-01, 01:51 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It appears somehow the processor wasn't properly seated in the correct pins, so I finally got it up and running.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate the information. Hopefully I won't have any other problems other than operator error

-- Jon Lord
A-HA!

Like I said, nothing wrong with the board...
Operator Error

Good to hear that you got it working now

-BT