Reload this Page >

argh, networking newby probs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-09-01, 09:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed Windows 2000 server on one box to play around with, Windows XP on another. Got them both plugged into a LinkSys Hub, along with my internet cable connection plugged into the hub as well. I got the Internet running into the XP box.

I can't get the two computers to network together. I'm giving them both the same work group name. I'm trying to assign them both automatic IP addresses (my XP box needs that for the Internet) and they just don't communicate.

Running the Network Setup Wizard on XP yields nothing. I'm simply stumped.

Thanks guys
Old 11-09-01, 11:12 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WEll, if you have your cable running into the hub also, then I'm guessing both boxes are pulling an IP from the cable provider to allow them to get on the net?

What is it you're trying to do with the boxes, file share, print share, just want to be able to see it in MY Network places?

IF you want to file share, simply go to the XP box and go tot he run prompt and type \\win2kboxname\driveletter$

That will then prompt you for a username and a password, enter your win2k user/pass and you're in. You have to setup your drive to share in win2k though.

This should be backwards compatible to XP also since it uses the NT kernel, but I haven't tested it yet.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-01, 11:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

WEll, if you have your cable running into the hub also, then I'm guessing both boxes are pulling an IP from the cable provider to allow them to get on the net?

Not at this moment, at least I don't think so, doing a winconfig from the command prompt shows the XP box finding the gateway Internet connection, the 2K box doesn't find it.

What is it you're trying to do with the boxes, file share, print share, just want to be able to see it in MY Network places?

File share, but also setup a proxy so I can use the Internet on both boxes.

IF you want to file share, simply go to the XP box and go tot he run prompt and type \\win2kboxname\driveletter$

OK, just tried that from the run prompt like you said and I get a Network not found message.

That will then prompt you for a username and a password, enter your win2k user/pass and you're in. You have to setup your drive to share in win2k though.

Maybe I misunderstood you on what to do, but see previous message.

Thanks for your help! I'm really enjoying XP, although its network configuration area seems immense and hard to sort through. WK2 Server is freakin insane. I want to run some ASP stuff from it though, and some Perl32, too.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 11-09-01 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-10-01, 03:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Update:

Weird problem. I threw XP on both boxes now, and the Network still won't take. Either I'm oblivious to something big here, or it's physical problem of some sort, maybe the hub? It's weird if it is the hub, though, since the cable Internet goes through the hub to get onto my original XP box.

Weird. :\

Any help will be definitely appreciated guys
Old 11-10-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pig, your two computers won't be able to see each other unless they're on the same IP subnet. I'm guessing that your hub is a plain vanilla hub, right? Not one of those router/firewall dealies?

Bring up a DOS window on both machines and type "ipconfig" What does it say in both windows?
Old 11-10-01, 03:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

On my Internet XP Box I'm seeing my ISP url in the Connection Specific DNS Suffice, then an IP address that starts with 24, then a starts with 255 Subnet mask, finall a starts with 24 default gateway. On my non-Internet XP Box I see no DNS Suffix, an IP Addy that starts with 169, no Default gateway, and a 255 Subnet mask.

Don't I need an auto-generating IP address to run the Internet?
Old 11-10-01, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
On my Internet XP Box I'm seeing my ISP url in the Connection Specific DNS Suffice, then an IP address that starts with 24, then a starts with 255 Subnet mask, finall a starts with 24 default gateway. On my non-Internet XP Box I see no DNS Suffix, an IP Addy that starts with 169, no Default gateway, and a 255 Subnet mask.

Don't I need an auto-generating IP address to run the Internet?
Okay, here's the problem. Your cable company isn't actually assigning your other box an IP. They're limiting you to one which sort of creates a problem

The best solution is to buy one of those firewall/router/hub dealies. The second best solution is to add a second NIC to one of the boxes.

There's a third option that might work, but it's really not the right way to do things. But, you can try this tonight if you want:

On the second machine, change the network properties to specify an IP that's just one off from the IP that was assigned by your ISP. So, if you were assigned 24.123.123.8, then specify it as 24.123.123.9. Set the subnet mask and default gateway to be the same as on the first machine.

This should, at the very least, allow your two machines to see one another. Any file shares and print shares, etc. should become available. It may be, however, that your second machine where you specified the IP, won't be able to access the internet. Let me know if that's the case and we can try some other stuff.
Old 11-10-01, 11:11 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK, personally, here is what I would do.

Run the cable connection to one of your PC's (probably the win2k one). Have a 2nd NIC in that PC and setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). If you want to know how to do this, I wrote a guide that will show you which can be found here: http://www.viperlair.com/articles/so...tcl_ics2_1.htm

Then you will have both PC's with an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range. The win2k (or PC that is connected to your cable) will have the IP of 192.168.0.1 (and it will be connected to your hub) and then the 2nd PC will be connected to the hub also and it will have an IP of 192.168.0.2. You can either set this up statically (give it a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and make sure you put your ISP DNS servers in the settings also) or you can have it grab the information from the other computer via DHCP. Sometimes the DHCP does not want to work though.

You see, this way you will have both computers on the same network, and transferring files between them will be on your lan instead of going out to your ISP if you have them both connected to the hub and they are connected to each other only through the internet.

This should work for you (even with XP on both PC's) it's just that some of the prompts might be a little bit different. If you need some help you can e-mail me or jump on IRC with enterthegame network and join #demohaus. There either look for me or some other people might be able to help you.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-01, 08:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

You guys rock! Thanks so much for the help! I'm such a novice at this networking stuff (as simple as my case is compared to the real stuff, wans and such) but hopefully I'll learn more. I want to get more into it in the future as part of a job.

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Gallant-

Go to www.linksys.com and look at their cable/DSL routers. They serve DHCP, have multiple ports, and at least one of them will even do print serving.
Old 11-12-01, 03:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Good advice JustinS!