Reload this Page >

Manually changing IRQ's in win2k?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-09-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my computer freezing and rebooting tself all the time, I think its an IRQ problem. All my PCI devices are on the same IRQ....11, When I try to change the IRQ's for the devices the part where you would change it is greyed out so I cant change it. Why would windows put all the divices on the same IRQ? How would I manually change this?

Pleas note: This is a fresh install of the OS and all devices were already physically in the system during the install.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 11-09-01, 09:43 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I had this same problem... or at least I thought it was the problem. I'm not sure how to explain it, but Windows does something... virtual IRQ steering? Its called something like that... anyways, thats not your problem... at least I don't believe so... what kind of motherboard do you have? what kinds of periphals do you have?
Old 11-09-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only reason I think its IRQ related (no conflics listed in msconfig32) is that most of the blue screens I get say something about IRQ or have IRQ in it. I think no matter what devices I put in any PCI slot it all goes to 11, or did they all go to 11 cause I installed windows when I had all the devices already in there slots? If I take out all the cards and remove them from device manager and put them in 1 at a time should they take separate IRQs? With my old install of win2k, my previous one, they we all on different IRQs (the ones that the MB manual says that each slot is assigned to...its a BE-6II)

Fasttrak IDE RAID Controler
Diamond MX-400 Sound
V3 3000 AGP Card
Linksys NIC
Old 11-09-01, 11:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had problems with that myself. Particularly ACPI shutdown problems with the audio card sharing interrupts. Turning off IRQ Steering, restarting, and seeing if things work better is a way to diagnose some of the problems. But that removes some of the ATX-type/ACPI power control abilities. Being compulsive about controlling my computer the way I want to, here's what I do.

Go into your computer's BIOS and turn off Plug and Play OS and Auto on the PCI slot IRQ's. Then set the IRQ's by hand. It takes some knowledge to set them properly, you need to know which slots share IRQ's with other ones and what IRQ's are good for what devices.

When you start Win2K up again it should redetect the devices and reinstall them. You might have a bunch of rebooting to do.
Old 11-09-01, 06:52 PM

a bit OT, but I've found that replying to people's emails, although not very useful for IRQ settings, has been known to lessen occurrences of dissatisfaction among those you deal with...

email me Jon... I'm still waiting for the software you promised... or at least an explanation

Last edited by hoobi; 11-09-01 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-10-01, 02:07 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally posted by habers

Fasttrak IDE RAID Controler
Diamond MX-400 Sound
V3 3000 AGP Card
Linksys NIC
WOW!

Ya know what? The second I started using the Fasttrak RAID controller on my MB, I noticed a lot of problems. I had to go through three motherboards, and sometime during that my I/or something else broke my processor... (touching it, not storing it properly, static eletricity... etc.) anywyas I kept getting blue screens...

That error you get I believe is also related to heating issues...

IRQ is not less than or equal to

or it might just be the Linksys card. Whenever I use a USB NIC on my computer, it crashes it. If I use a PCI, depends on which slot.