Reload this Page >

X and 4KRG, I'm back with questions :)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-08-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't hassled you guys with questions for a couple of weeks now. Here's one for you, I finally got my home phoneline network card to hook up my audiotron into my network. It is in the P166 running NT4 server. This computer also has a netgear 10/100 ethernet card in it. The goal was to have both cards functional to act as a bridge between the network types. With just the ethernet card, it works fine. adding the hpna card, suddenly the thing can't connect to anything. I've set both cards with their own IP (192.168.123.105 and .106), enabled IP forwarding. I can ping that computer from others, however I can't ping anything from it. Do I need to setup something in the routing table? Any other ideas?
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-08-01, 11:38 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm not...err...X is not here right now.
Old 11-08-01, 11:42 PM
X
Administrator

Have you set the subnet, gateway, DNS, etc. for both cards?

Try it with the IP forwarding off if it still doesn't work.
Old 11-08-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is one for Mr. Modulator X as I need to sleep sometime tonight

Dave - I have never used, seen, or smelled a phoneline network device. I have never had a need (I wired my house with Cat 5e and do the same wherever I go - yes I even know run + terminate cable)

I will make a relatively safe assumption and say that is operates like any other network card, just with a different medium. If this is true, then this article should clear things up for you

http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=NTS40

read it carefully, and yes you do need to add a route or two and only one card should have a default gateway.
Old 11-09-01, 12:01 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by 4KRG

only one card should have a default gateway.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 11-09-01, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking about the 3com homeconnect phoneline networking card? That thing is buggy as all hell and is incompatible with a laundry list of other network devices, adapters, peripherals and software. Plus - I've had it work in one PC and then not work in an identical PC. The things are bad news all around - one blemish on an otherwise stellar networking devices manufacturer.

uh... if you were talking about something else... then disregard everything I just typed.
Old 11-09-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the answers, I'll give them a try later today. Trigger, the card is a linksys phoneline card. It wasn't my choice to use this method (I've wired the upstairs of my house with cat5), but the audio stack is in the far corner of the place, with a vaulted ceiling, so I just can't get to it to make a cat5 drop.

Dave
Old 11-12-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This damn thing just annoyed me to no end. I got to the point where I could play mp3 that were one the nt4 computer, and with a proxy server could access internet radio (shoutcast & such). But the audiotron has a limitation where is can only access other shares on the same class C subnet (ie 192.168.124.x), which didn't help as the rest of the pc's are on 192.168.123.x.
Setting routes and rebooting, and fiddling with the damn just wouldn't work. I went with the easy solution:
http://www.netgear.com/product_view....&yrp=17&zrp=43

Plug it in and go, took about 2 minutes, I guess I just have to pay for ease of use.

Dave
Old 11-13-01, 12:11 AM
X
Administrator

I have no idea. Couldn't go wireless?

I don't understand the subnet problem. You should either put them on the same class C (preferred) or change your mask to 255.255.0.0.
Old 11-13-01, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, wireless isn't available for the audiotron. The problem with the subnet was I couldn't get the 2 adapters in the NT system to talk to each other with they were on the same class c. I'd imagine I just wasn't getting the route's setup correctly, but I was tired of messing with it (so was the wife ) I'll come up with some other use for the NT box though.

dave
Originally posted by X
I have no idea. Couldn't go wireless?

I don't understand the subnet problem. You should either put them on the same class C (preferred) or change your mask to 255.255.0.0.