How to create partitions?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-08-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says it all

How do I create partitions on my HDD? I looked at FDisk, but was not sure of the options and did not want to screw anythign up. I though I'd ask, first....

Also, if I install XP on one of these partitions, will it work the same as installing on a separate HDD?

Thanks
Old 11-08-01, 02:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here is an article on the use of fdisk...

http://www.8ballshardware.com/articles/fdisk/page1.cfm
Old 11-08-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When you partition a HD it will assign drive letters to each partition, so each partition acts as a seperate HD. So yes you can use one partition for XP and the other for data. Partitioning a drive with fdisk with format the entire drive so make sure you backup first. Otherwise you can use Partition Magic to make your partition which is non destructive, and load XP in the new partition.
Old 11-08-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just installed Partition Magic and am having trouble.

Right now I'm on Winders ME w/ 20 gig HDD

I am trying to create a ~2 gig FAT32 active primary partition. When I apply the partition, it restarts into MS-DOS mode and tries to apply the partition. But it always gives me an error and says something along the lines of there are missing clusters...

Do I need to do a full scandisk to fix this? or defrag? I wasn't sure..

Also, what is the difference between a logican and a primary partition? Thanks
Old 11-08-01, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last time I did a partition I gave up cause it ate up too much of my 640k of memory. What are the downsides of partioning a drive these days?
Old 11-08-01, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by shaun3000
I just installed Partition Magic and am having trouble.

Right now I'm on Winders ME w/ 20 gig HDD

I am trying to create a ~2 gig FAT32 active primary partition. When I apply the partition, it restarts into MS-DOS mode and tries to apply the partition. But it always gives me an error and says something along the lines of there are missing clusters...

Do I need to do a full scandisk to fix this? or defrag? I wasn't sure..

Also, what is the difference between a logican and a primary partition? Thanks
A primary partition is the partition that will have the operating system on it and will boot from. Also you should be using a NTFS file system for your partition if you are loading XP(FAT32 will work but NTFS works better). Also you wont be able to dual boot 2 different operating systems from partitions on the same physical disk due to the 2gig limitation that most computer's bios limits you to. This could be part of the reason you are having a problem, but I also surrest you run a scan disk and a defrag before proceeding.
Old 11-08-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 gig limitation on what?
Old 11-08-01, 10:06 PM
Cool New Member

A primary partition is the partition that will have the operating system on it and will boot from. Also you should be using a NTFS file system for your partition if you are loading XP(FAT32 will work but NTFS works better). Also you wont be able to dual boot 2 different operating systems from partitions on the same physical disk due to the 2gig limitation that most computer's bios limits you to. This could be part of the reason you are having a problem, but I also surrest you run a scan disk and a defrag before proceeding.

I am running a triple boots system on my 40 gig maxtor and dont see any problem with the so called (2 gig limitation). OS: Win98, Win2k, and Redhat Linux 7.1.
Old 11-08-01, 10:57 PM

So can you partition a drive without having to format it? Also, how do you choose to boot to the different partitions/OS? Does it give you an option on bootup?

One more thing. Can you acces files from from another partition that has an OS from the partition that you are currently booted on. Example - access WinMe files while booted to WinXP?

Was thinking of doing this but hate to have something to have to hit during bootup. I like to just hit the power button and walk away till it boots.

Thanks,

C. Ryan
Old 11-08-01, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by YNG68BLD

I am running a triple boots system on my 40 gig maxtor and dont see any problem with the so called (2 gig limitation). OS: Win98, Win2k, and Redhat Linux 7.1.
Some bios only allows a 2 gig partition if you are going to load another OS on it and 2 gig is not enough for XP. Partition Magic will let you know if this is the case.
Old 11-08-01, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by CRyan
So can you partition a drive without having to format it? Also, how do you choose to boot to the different partitions/OS? Does it give you an option on bootup?

One more thing. Can you acces files from from another partition that has an OS from the partition that you are currently booted on. Example - access WinMe files while booted to WinXP?

Was thinking of doing this but hate to have something to have to hit during bootup. I like to just hit the power button and walk away till it boots.

Thanks,

C. Ryan
Yes you can create a partition without formating using a program like Partition Magic. It also includes a dual boot function or boot manager to allow you to choose what OS to boot from.

Yes you can acces the files across platforms.
Old 11-10-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are the disadvantages of partitioning your computer? Assume I have hundreds of megs of RAM
Old 11-10-01, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
What are the disadvantages of partitioning your computer? Assume I have hundreds of megs of RAM
There is really no disadvantage to partitioning that I can think of. Just make sure partitions holding operating systems have enough room to grow and create virtual memory(if needed).