Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose and advantage of a DVD decoder card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-01, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does a DVD decoder card increase the picture quality of a DVD running from a PC? I already have a sound card (Hercules Game Theater XP) that decodes the audio from a DVD, so is there any other advantages of installing a DVD decoder card? Can it be used to replace the video card?

Randall
Old 11-06-01, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, it won't improve quality. It's used for underpowered computers (probably below a P3-500 or so) that can't decode the video with just the CPU. If you are well above that horsepower with your system, you don't need it.

Dave
Old 11-06-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dave99 is right, but I think he's assuming that you're watching your DVD's on your monitor.

If you're watching the DVD's using the RGB output of your video card, i.e. on your computer monitor; then a hardware decoder card won't be any better.

If you're watching the DVD's with a regular TV attached to the video-out port on your video card, then a hardware decoder will likely produce better picture quality. The video encoders on most video cards isn't very good.
Old 11-15-01, 07:52 PM

i own a DXR3 decoder card and i was wondering what programs besides the one that comes w/ the creative DVD player are capable of using this decoder or the hollywood one. Does WinDVD or powerDVD make use of this? thanks alo.