Reload this Page >

Pc wont turn on , just rings the alarm

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-01-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my old Celeron 466 as a gateway for the other pcs. Im on a really bad isp that drops me often and I have to reboot the gateway to have it lose the ip it takes when I get dropped, but Im too lazy to reset it so I just turn off the power supply and then power it back on. But this time I did that and when I turn on the pc now, it doesnt show anything on the monitor and the motherboard alarms rings... So how do I diagnose what is wrong with the pc? I figure the problem is perhaps I fried the CPU or something is wrong with the ram, but I really cant say...

So... any suggestions?

And I do realize that rebooting the pc by shutting off the power supply once or twice a day isn't very good for it.
Old 11-01-01, 07:18 PM

Try opening itup and re-seating the cards and memory. The beep codes mean different things, if you get no display, it either the Motherboard, the memory, or the video card.. You can always try to find the manual for you mb on the internet and see what the beep codes you get mean..
Old 11-01-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you on a slot 1 adapter? I had similar problems with them. And on an old motherboard I had for a few days it would take 2 hours to turn the PC on. I got the alarm and nothing else. Then it started working for no apparent reason.
Old 11-01-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
always get a case with a reset button
less "traumatic" on the components as the power doesn't actuall go off then quickly back on
Old 11-11-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Time to bring this back up since I tried a few things. When I turn on the pc now, I either still get the motherboard alarm and nothing else happens or I turn it on and it doesn't go anywhere, there is no picture and no memory test. Tlamm either did not read my post of didn't understand what I mean, this isn't a beep, this is the motherboard alarm that rings when voltage is too high or your pc is overheating. I checked and it runs at around 40 degrees or so and the fan does work. I think it's a socket 7 and not a slot one (its a chip that goes in a board that you plug in), I never pay attention to the terms.

I reseated the ram, cards, cpu, but nothing looked unplugged. The cpu has never had the clips to old it in place (the board rather) so its always been a bit loose, but never caused problems in the past.

So, what are the possibilities for what is damaged? I am thinking it's somewhere in the CPU, motherboard or ram since it won't go anywhere's, but then again, I never have picture so it might be the video card but when I turn it on and the alarm stays off, nothing is loading, the hard drive isn't doing anything.

If I could find out what it was, it would be simpler, I can flash the bios, replace the ram and CPU for around 125$ for a Celeron 800 with 256 megs of ram, but a video card and motherboard would cost me a lot more unless I go mega low end.