Reload this Page >

new network problem.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

new network problem.

Old 11-01-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new network problem.

Ok, I finally got the network up and running. Now the problem is that I had DSL put in yesterday and I have to use my nic card for that connection. So I am no longer hooked to the hub for the network. My question is this.

How do I go about hooking the DSL modem up the the hub that I have (Compex DS1216) so that I can once aging get the network back up and running, and be able to have those people on the network able to use the web? I had to reconfing the IP that I set up for the network, so I know that I will have to go and match those all back up using the ones that I have to use now. Is there a way to run the DSL line through the hub that I have? If not, how do I get it so that everyone can use the net, and the network at the same time?

Help please.
Old 11-01-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOu will need 2 NIC's for the computer hooked up to DSL. One NIC goes to the DSL modem and the other for the internal network. For the internal network you can use internet connection sharing, or if you have windows 2000 server you can use it as a router and set up NAT and DHCP.
Old 11-01-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
cable/dsl routers are extremely cheap anymore.. this is the best solution because of all the security it offers

there are other ways (not as good)... if your hub has a crossover and your service allows it.. there is a chance you can run directly from the dsl modem to your hub, and then to your machines

or you could put a second nic in your main desktop.. run the dsl modem to your first nic, then your second nic to the hub.. then you just need to setup a dhcp server either with windows or a 3rd party software title (sygate makes a good one)...

my suggestion would be to check techbargains.com and look at the cable routers.. I have seen the smc routers going for 20-30 dollars (after mail in rebate).. you should be able to find some pretty decent deals on the linksys router.. you might want to check the 'other bargains' forum and ask around.
Old 11-01-01, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If your hub has an uplink port, you could connect your dsl line to that and your NIC to your hub. But methinks you will need another network card in your computer to connect your PC to the hub. Then use some network software to set it up.
Old 11-01-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or you need a cable/dsl router from SMC, linksys, netgear, d-link etc. They run from about 50 & up. That will allow you to hook into you hub and let everyone share the dsl line.

Dave
Old 11-01-01, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huzefa
If your hub has an uplink port, you could connect your dsl line to that and your NIC to your hub. But methinks you will need another network card in your computer to connect your PC to the hub. Then use some network software to set it up.
most isp's (from what i've been reading) don't allow this anymore. plus...you would still need something to do the address translation....and/or multiple ip addresses.

like twikky said, the best option these days is a router. i've got the single port linksys uplinked to a 5 port switch that feeds 4 computers. it works like a champ...is cheap...and offers some security (the ability to shut down unused ports for example).

look into this and let us know what you decide....

cranky.
Old 11-01-01, 02:31 PM

Well, it seems as though I have to go the router way. Now.. what type of router do I need? I know as of right now there will be 6 pc's that will be using the web including me. What else do I need to do so that I can get my network back up and running?

thanks for the help so far
Old 11-01-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tjr2mental
Well, it seems as though I have to go the router way. Now.. what type of router do I need? I know as of right now there will be 6 pc's that will be using the web including me. What else do I need to do so that I can get my network back up and running?

Describe your enviroment. Is it an office? Do you have windows2000server there?
Old 11-01-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SMC makes an 8 port switch/router. I have 5 pcs, and the SMC 4 port on one side of the house, and an 8 port 10/100 switch on the other side. Going that way made it easier to wire thru the attic, and a lot less wire.

Dave

Old 11-01-01, 03:11 PM

yes... it is a office. no, we do not have any type of server. The network is run off my pc (WinME). Now, if I go the router way, I will have to run wire to all the pc's again? If that is the case it will not work as all the computers only have on nic card. argh...
Old 11-01-01, 03:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
You could just plug the router into the hub and all your existing wiring would stay the same. Or you would get an 8-port router and use it in place of your hub and all wiring would stay the same. You just have to give the router an IP that is on the same subnet as your computers.
Old 11-01-01, 03:38 PM

So if this is the case, I only need a one port router then? Am I right in thinking this, or would I still be better off getiing one that had like 4 ports?

As for the subnet thing, I had to change what I had once I get the DSL. Now, how would I goo about getting that so it is what it once was? Maybe I am asking this to far inadvance, as I do not even have the router yet.. bt I am a bit confused by this one is all.
Old 11-01-01, 04:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
You could use just a one port router and plug it into your hub. You might need a crossover cable for that.

You should not have to change your internal IP's from what they used to be. The router should be able to be set to conform to them. But if it can't, or you don't have non-internet routable IP's you may want to change them to conform to what the router already has preset. It probably comes with a non-internet routable subnet already programmed in.
Old 11-01-01, 05:36 PM

Ok, Thanks for all the help. I will post again once I get stuck doing the IP's in a few days. Pickin' up the router tomarrow so I should be doing this saturday I hope.

Once again, Thanks for the info and tips. You guys are great!
Old 11-01-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, Thanks for all the help. I will post again once I get stuck doing the IP's in a few days. Pickin' up the router tomarrow so I should be doing this saturday I hope.

Once again, Thanks for the info and tips. You guys are great!
Remember don't go cheap. Check out this router before you buy anything else.
Old 11-01-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

the most common routers for these tasks are either the 1)Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router or 2)SMC EZ Cable/DSL Router
Old 11-01-01, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by teplitsa

Remember don't go cheap. Check out this router before you buy anything else.
\

Ok, I do not even want to think of how expensive that monster is going to be.
Old 11-01-01, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
the most common routers for these tasks are either the 1)Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router or 2)SMC EZ Cable/DSL Router
Well, seeing as how I will be shopping at best buy I will have to go with the Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router as they do not offer the second choice. Will there be anything else that I will need to hook the router to the network hub that I have? Some special cable perhaps?
Old 11-01-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

\

Ok, I do not even want to think of how expensive that monster is going to be.
I don't know myself. At work our edge router is a Cisco 7200. But earlier this year I saw a close up shot of a Juniper router on CNBC and it said Internet 2 on it, so one can only imagine.
Old 11-01-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, seeing as how I will be shopping at best buy I will have to go with the Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router as they do not offer the second choice. Will there be anything else that I will need to hook the router to the network hub that I have? Some special cable perhaps?
depends.. you might need a crossover cable..

depends on if your hub already has a built in crossover or not
Old 11-01-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by teplitsa

I don't know myself. At work our edge router is a Cisco 7200. But earlier this year I saw a close up shot of a Juniper router on CNBC and it said Internet 2 on it, so one can only imagine.
i believe he is looking for a much smaller, simplier solution