If Win98 doesn't boot up ...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-30-01, 05:46 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... is there a way to fix the Win98 OS?

I have a friend's notebook computer (Toshiba) at my house that I'm trying to fix. It used to boot up fine until two weeks ago when the option to boot in safe mode (whatever that's called) popped up. She clicked on safe mode and the computer went through a scan disk. The scan disk found several bad sectors on the hard drive. Then it loaded up in safe mode.

Now, Win98 won't load anymore. It will give that initial Win98 startup screen, then go to a black screen and freeze.

She has the recovery CD. She called Toshiba Tech Support and they told her to back up all the files then reformat/reinstall everything. This can't be the only way ...
Old 10-30-01, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only other option is to install 98 over 98 (if you have a cd).. The bad sectors must be on a section of the hard drive that contains the operating system.. If its under warrenty i'd demand a new drive. If not (and you dont have a 98 only cd), the best bet is doing what they say.. However, bad sectors usually lead to more bad sectors, which leads to a new hard drive..
Old 10-30-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: If Win98 doesn't boot up ...

Originally posted by namja
... is there a way to fix the Win98 OS?

I have a friend's notebook computer (Toshiba) at my house that I'm trying to fix. It used to boot up fine until two weeks ago when the option to boot in safe mode (whatever that's called) popped up. She clicked on safe mode and the computer went through a scan disk. The scan disk found several bad sectors on the hard drive. Then it loaded up in safe mode.

Now, Win98 won't load anymore. It will give that initial Win98 startup screen, then go to a black screen and freeze.

She has the recovery CD. She called Toshiba Tech Support and they told her to back up all the files then reformat/reinstall everything. This can't be the only way ...
With Toshiba you're out of luck. As far as I know the only way to load any version of Windows onto a toshiba is to use their recovery CD which formats and reinstalls.

Toshiba uses a non-standard proprietary BIOS and hardware and you're basically out of luck. I personally will never buy a toshiba or sony laptop for this reason. I like Dell laptops. You just throw your windows CD in and it installs.
Old 10-30-01, 09:23 PM
Stealth Moderator

how do you access the BIOS in the Toshiba notebook computers?
Old 10-31-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Namja - look up the model here and you should find all the drivers you will need to re-install the OS.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...kcghcfmfdglk.0

Grab a 98 cdrom from anywhere (I am sure you have one somewhere that went to another PC) and use it to install over top of the 98 on the machine now. Then re-install all the hardware drivers with the driver disks you download from the link above

You may also want to try booting into DOS and search the hard drive for CAB files. IF the 98 CAB files are there, you can run setup and reinstall from them. If you use the restore CD all data will be wiped.

Toshiba's BIOS is no more proprietary than Dell's. Teplitsa is a tad confused with his comments
Old 10-31-01, 04:06 AM

if your interested in possibly salvaging the drive because a simple FFR may not fix the bad sector problem. Then do a process called wite zeros... i'm not sure about the toshiba cd's if they have utility for doing that or not.

But gateway does...
It's Here...

7510801.exe 357 KB 7/26/01 GWSCAN 3.15 for all Gateway hard drives. This file will also extract in Dos.

Gl...
Old 10-31-01, 04:19 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
if your interested in possibly salvaging the drive because a simple FFR may not fix the bad sector problem. Then do a process called wite zeros... i'm not sure about the toshiba cd's if they have utility for doing that or not.
i'm gonna try this ... then reformat (again) the hd ... then reinstall the win98 os ... hope it'll all work out okay ...
Old 10-31-01, 04:45 AM
Stealth Moderator

damn_computer ... the hard drive is bad.

(1) i tried to write zeros to every sector, and got an error message that said to call tech support.
(2) cannot format the hd.
(3) norton utilities cannot fix the drive.

Old 10-31-01, 04:48 AM

yeah sorry forgot to tell you that writing zeros will be more than happy to tell you have a bad drive and give you error codes when it finds it can do this process. Get toshiba to rpl it if it's in warranty.
Old 10-31-01, 04:54 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
yeah sorry forgot to tell you that writing zeros will be more than happy to tell you have a bad drive and give you error codes when it finds it can do this process. Get toshiba to rpl it if it's in warranty.
computer is over 2 years old ... and out of warranty ... she'll have to get a new HD i guess ...

does anyone know if she can get just any notebook HD, or does it have to be a Toshiba HD? the computer is a Toshiba Satellite 2180CDT.
Old 10-31-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Toshiba's I've seen are different. Instead of a chip, it's a small partition on the hard drive like compaq servers. You can change bios settings from windows, but unless you have a CDrom made by toshiba you will not boot from CD.
Old 10-31-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Accessing TSETUP during bootup

There are two methods for accessing TSETUP:

1. Hold down the Esc key, then turn on the computer. When you receive the
following message: "Check system. Then press F1key," press F1.

2. While booting, hold down F8 until the startup menu appears. Use the
down arrow key to move the cursor to item #6 (Safe Mode Command Prompt
Only) on the list and press Enter. This will take you to an MS-DOS
screen. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd \dos and press Enter. Then, type
TSETUP and press Enter.
Both methods take you to the first of two screens, each of which is a table
displaying default settings. To change (or view) the options available for
any particular setting, use the arrow keys to move to the setting and press
the spacebar to scroll through the options. Once you exit MS-DOS, any
changes made to TSETUP become the default settings when you reboot your
system.
Old 10-31-01, 11:08 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by teplitsa
The Toshiba's I've seen are different. Instead of a chip, it's a small partition on the hard drive like compaq servers. You can change bios settings from windows, but unless you have a CDrom made by toshiba you will not boot from CD.
damn_toshiba ...

But yeah, so far only the recovery CD will boot from the CD drive and none of the other bootable OS CDs.

Here are the computer specs: 475 MHz AMD K6-2 CPU with 64 MB RAM, 4 GB HD, 24x CD-ROM, 12.1" TFT LCD ...

The Toshiba HD's are way too expensive. Is it even worth getting a new HD? So far, the cheapest drive found was a 6 GB drive for $250 shipped.
Old 10-31-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

computer is over 2 years old ... and out of warranty ... she'll have to get a new HD i guess ...

does anyone know if she can get just any notebook HD, or does it have to be a Toshiba HD? the computer is a Toshiba Satellite 2180CDT.
any 2.5" drive will work as long as the size of the drive is not outside the limits of the BIOS (I am not sure for this model) The same size you have now will work and usually going a little larger is fine.

If you have problems booting CD-roms, create the boot floppies. All MS OS's have them.
Old 10-31-01, 11:16 AM
Stealth Moderator

4KRG,

Thanks for both posts. The "Esc" worked beautifully, but the BIOS settings provided no help.

Good to know that any 2.5" notebook drive will work. The spec sheet for the computer said that right now, it has a 4.3 GB Enhanced IDE 2.5" HD, 9.5 mm height, supports PIO Mode4 or Ultra DMA33Mode2.

Can I buy this HD and it'll be okay? This one says, "ATA-4 IDE". Will that be compatible? The Toshiba says the current one is E-IDE.
Old 10-31-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Namja I am not 100% sure on your exact model laptop, but it should be fine.

I have put other brand hard drives in Toshiba laptops with little trouble using ghost (2.5" to 3.5" ide adapters and put both drives in a desktop computer to perform ghost, then install in laptop)

I have also loaded non-toshiba OS's on their laptops with little trouble. Everything you need driver and BIOS wise is on Toshiba's web page.

Make sure you are armed (download and make floppies out of everything) with everything you need before you start, otherwise, you will end up being frustrated.
Old 10-31-01, 11:38 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by 4KRG
I have put other brand hard drives in Toshiba laptops with little trouble using ghost (2.5" to 3.5" ide adapters and put both drives in a desktop computer to perform ghost, then install in laptop)
Need to get ghost.

Make sure you are armed (download and make floppies out of everything) with everything you need before you start, otherwise, you will end up being frustrated.
Well, I have two other computers in the same room, so I'll download as I go ...
Old 10-31-01, 12:45 PM
Stealth Moderator

Good to know that any 2.5" notebook drive will work. The spec sheet for the computer said that right now, it has a 4.3 GB Enhanced IDE 2.5" HD, 9.5 mm height, supports PIO Mode4 or Ultra DMA33Mode2.

Can I buy this HD and it'll be okay? This one says, "ATA-4 IDE". Will that be compatible? The Toshiba says the current one is E-IDE.
Anyone?

I'm about to buy this damn_HD.