Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows doesn't detect my new harddrive...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-01, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have win98. This is what I tried to do:

-Disconnected my CD Rom
-Set the jumpers on my new hardrive as Slave (I did this to copy the image from my current HD onto the new one)
-Pluged in the IDE cable and the power cord that was connected to my CD Rom to the HD
-No detection from windows

The HD is getting power because it does get warm when I power up. I can't hear it spinning, but I imagine it is.

Another problem I have is that my SCSI Bios is not installed. I just noticed this message when I started trying to trouble shoot this HD matter I have no idea how to install one. I'm looking for the documentation that came with my SCSI stuff now to research that one. Any ideas?

Here is the set up on my mobo if it matters

2 PCI slots - one has a SCSI Card, the other a modem card
IDE cables - one connects from the mobo to the harddrive, the other connects to the diskette drive and the CD Rom.

Any help is much appreciated
Old 10-19-01, 12:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have time to get into this too deeply right now, but do you have the special 80-line IDE cable if you have an ATA-66 (or ATA-100) drive and a motherboard capable of supporting that speed? You need one if you don't. Also, you could try that drive with "select" (or whatever it's called) instead of master or slave. Some drives prefer that. What exactly is the drive?
Old 10-19-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
I don't have time to get into this too deeply right now, but do you have the special 80-line IDE cable if you have an ATA-66 (or ATA-100) drive and a motherboard capable of supporting that speed? You need one if you don't. Also, you could try that drive with "select" (or whatever it's called) instead of master or slave. Some drives prefer that. What exactly is the drive?
OK, you have lost me on the 80 line thing. I'll check it out tonight and see if I can identify it some way.

Here is the drive I'm trying to set up...

http://www.maxtor.com/products/Diam...Specs/42084.pdf

It's the 20 gig one.

I'll try the cable select setting tonight and see if that works.
Old 10-19-01, 01:12 PM

A little more specific...

You did not exactly tell us how you are plugging in your new hard drive. You said you put as slave and then hooked it up to the IDE port where you had your CD rom. Is the new hard drive the only drive on that particular IDE port. IF that is the case it should be set to master and not slave.

If your Maxtor disk copy software needs it to be a slave to the old drive, then you need to have a dual IDE cable and boot-up with the new drive hooked up to the same IDE port on the same cable as the old one. And it has to be set to slave of course.

Is your BIOS detecting it on bootup? I cannot imagine that it is if Windows is not seeing it. If not, then go into your BIOS settings and make sure that the IDE port is set to AUTO and not turned off.

A hard drive should be one of the easiest things to install. How old is the cable you are attempting to use? You may need a new one.

C. Ryan
Old 10-19-01, 07:34 PM

Re: A little more specific...

Originally posted by CRyan
Is your BIOS detecting it on bootup? I cannot imagine that it is if Windows is not seeing it. If not, then go into your BIOS settings and make sure that the IDE port is set to AUTO and not turned off.
I'd be willing to bet that this is it.
Old 10-21-01, 04:10 AM

Re: A little more specific...

Originally posted by CRyan
You did not exactly tell us how you are plugging in your new hard drive. You said you put as slave and then hooked it up to the IDE port where you had your CD rom. Is the new hard drive the only drive on that particular IDE port. IF that is the case it should be set to master and not slave.

C. Ryan
i was thinking right along the same lines....

if the new HD is the only device on that ide cable then it should be master or select. if it's a second hd and piggy backed with another hd verify the original hd jumper is master and the new is slave.

scsi bios has nothing to do with this if the hd is ide. so installing a scsi bios isn't necessary. what scsi device do you have? or is it really a ide controller card?

check the BIOS and see how things are listed this will give you the bigger indication of wether it's detected. if it is and not in windows chances are it just needs to be partitioned once it is then windows will list it.

what does it say under disk drives in Device Manager??
r.click my computer>properties>device manager

a little more info if you please.
Old 10-21-01, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows doesn't detect my new harddrive...

Originally posted by Deadpool

IDE cables - one connects from the mobo to the harddrive, the other connects to the diskette drive and the CD Rom.

this is what worried me the most. you connected your floppy disk drive to your ide cable???

you mention scsi but as asked before what are you using scsi for??
Old 10-21-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Windows doesn't detect my new harddrive...

Originally posted by Deadpool
I have win98. This is what I tried to do:

-Disconnected my CD Rom
-Set the jumpers on my new hardrive as Slave (I did this to copy the image from my current HD onto the new one)
-Pluged in the IDE cable and the power cord that was connected to my CD Rom to the HD
-No detection from windows

The HD is getting power because it does get warm when I power up. I can't hear it spinning, but I imagine it is.

Another problem I have is that my SCSI Bios is not installed. I just noticed this message when I started trying to trouble shoot this HD matter I have no idea how to install one. I'm looking for the documentation that came with my SCSI stuff now to research that one. Any ideas?

Here is the set up on my mobo if it matters

2 PCI slots - one has a SCSI Card, the other a modem card

Look in your SCSI adapter and HD documentation. There are different versions of SCSI. You may also need to terminate it, assign SCSI id's etc. And if it supports RAID you may have to go into your SCSI adapter's BIOS to set up the HD.

At work all of our Compaq servers are SCSI. They come with set up software on CD that we use to set up RAID.