Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

capture video from DVD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

capture video from DVD

Old 10-19-01, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capture video from DVD

I was wondering if someone could describe to me the easiest way to capture a video clip from a DVD onto a hard drive. If possible, I dont want the whole movie, just a single two minute clip.

Thanks
Old 10-19-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Divx

Try the Divx homepage. I imagine you can rip only a single chapter.
Old 10-22-01, 01:33 AM

Dont I need DeCSS?? I know I used to have it, but I formatted my hard drive recently?? Is this still available from somewhere?

Thanks
Old 10-22-01, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doing a clip is hard unless you have a video in on your video card. It might be easier to just rip the entire movie using a program like CladDVD (DeCSS front end) then editing the part you need.
Old 10-22-01, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out these sites:

www.digital-digest.com

www.vcdhelper.com

What you basically want to know is called "DVD ripping." There are a number of different DVD rippers, of which, DeCSS is one.

Both of the above sites have numerous tutorials on how to use rippers and the other tools you'll need to do what you want. I suggest you start there.
Old 10-22-01, 02:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pantala
Doing a clip is hard unless you have a video in on your video card. It might be easier to just rip the entire movie using a program like CladDVD (DeCSS front end) then editing the part you need.
I agree that a video in on the computer is the easiest way.

Go to CompUSA and get the I/O Magic PC PVR card for $40. It has s-video and composite in as well as a really good TV tuner. It also comes with recording software that can output many different video formats including VCD. When you get done using it to record video, you can use it as a VCR and even burn new recorded TV shows, or ones you already have on tape, onto CDs to play in your DVD player!

Plug the video output from your DVD player into the card's video in, audio out into your sound card's line in, play the clip you want to capture, and you've got it.
Old 10-22-01, 11:40 PM
Needs to provide a working email

What you do depends on what you have in your computer. Myself, I have at least three ways of capturing video.

1.) Connect the S-video output on my Encore to the S-video input on my All-in-Wonder. (Switch off Macrovision with remote selector).

2.) Rip the chapter from the DVD with Smartripper, encode it to the preferred codec and bitrate with Flask, and then snipping out the desired segment with Virtualdub.

3.) If the clip is short, capture the individual frames with PowerDVD (pause the stream by pressing the spacebar, hit "c" to caputre a frame, hit "t" to advance one frame, repeat as necessary), then record the sound if necessary with a differet app (I use Cool Edit Pro) and assemble them together with a program such as Virtualdub (freeware) and MS Video for Windows 1.1 (abandonware). This is the slowest, but also produces the highest-quality video captures.