Reload this Page >

abandonware and win2k - how?!?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-18-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok... following the link to the underdog site, i found master of orion. ah, an old favorite. well, i was trying to figure out what i needed to do to get it running. like the title says, i'm running win2K on an amd-box.

the best i can do is get to a dos prompt and try to run it that way -- but no luck. the game doesn't load or anything. any ideas? i think i need to enable EMS, and i tried that using properties but still no luck.

any ideas? is there such a thing as a DOS emulator?

thanks,

qs
Old 10-18-01, 11:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you need to, you could add a DOS boot to your Win2K by partially installing Win98 (preferably to another partition) and only keeping the ability to boot to DOS (by tweaking msdos.sys) in the OS choice menu. Of course your C drive would have to be FAT32. You could install all of Win98, but what a waste of disk space!

Actually, you'd really have to know what you are doing because you would have to repair your Win2K boot after doing this. It's relatively easy if you know how, but a pain if you don't.

Anybody have a better way?
Old 10-19-01, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
If you need to, you could add a DOS boot to your Win2K by partially installing Win98 (preferably to another partition) and only keeping the ability to boot to DOS (by tweaking msdos.sys) in the OS choice menu. Of course your C drive would have to be FAT32. You could install all of Win98, but what a waste of disk space!

Actually, you'd really have to know what you are doing because you would have to repair your Win2K boot after doing this. It's relatively easy if you know how, but a pain if you don't.

Anybody have a better way?
it sounds like a lot of work for just one game -- and what a great game it is, but i don't know if it's worth the time, right now. i was hoping for a simpler solution -- a DOS-emu sounds like a good idea, no?

also, the C drive is NTFS and it'd be a pain to have to partition and format the drive again. not to mention installing all the programs and updates -- again, just not worth the time.

i hope someone has a better solution. i would really like to play moo again -- i hated the micromanaging of moo2.

thanks x
Old 10-19-01, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New hard drives are cheap
Old 10-19-01, 04:11 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

if you have an internal zip drive, or if you put the game on a CD-R you can do it.

Just get create a boot disk, on either a FLOPPY or ZIP DISK, then boot the computer that way. Umm... then if you can remember how to do all the settings in DOS for memory management and your drivers... you're set!

Sorry just a Theory more than any actual help

If you have a computer with Windows 9x, create a boot disk, Win98 preferably... not sure about WinME, but 98 puts standard drivers for SCSI controllers, IDE CDROM drives... blah.
Old 10-19-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
New hard drives are cheap
I never thought about that. A new 3 GB hard drive or something for my old DOS games. Wow. And now that I'm checking prices, it would only be about $20 total.
Old 10-19-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the boot-up CD-R idea, except there's just one problem. MOO requires EMS and i don't have a clue how to implement this without an EMM386.SYS file.

i'll need CD-ROM drivers and MSCDEX, which is no problem -- i'll just grab this information from the windows 98 boot up disk. i forgot -- do i need mouse drivers for a bus mouse? the other two potential problems is loading the sound drivers and the video drivers.

i don't think i'll need VESA and i should be fine in the video area, but i'm a bit worried about the sound -- soundblaster live! supports legacy support, but i can't seem to find a configuration file anywhere for me to copy the CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT commands.

this is really bringing back fond memories of working with DOS and XTREE. making the dual configuration support (via the DOS-enabled menu) and trying to squeeze as much conventional memory as possible. man, that was a pain to free up as much conventional memory even when you had like 8MB of extended and 1MB of expanded.

any ideas?

thanks